This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cannot move Windows 10 apps to an encrypted drive

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Jan 5, 2016 at 8:55 PM
I'm having a very strange problem. I've been able to successfully move/install apps (from the Windows Store) to other drives including flash drives and SD cards but when I try to put it on an encrypted drive, it won't work. I'm wondering why because I've never had a drive encrypted with VeraCrypt or TrueCrypt behave any differently than a non-encrypted drive. Also the apps work when installed on my system drive which is encrypted with VeraCrypt What could be causing this to happen?
Coordinator
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:23 PM
Encrypted volumes are mounted using virtual drive that maps the decrypted content and Windows 10 doesn't allow storing apps on virtual drives, only physical ones.

System drive encryption is different because it is implemented using a filter driver that sits on top of the physical drive Windows driver: no virtual drive is involved and that's why Windows is not aware that encryption is involved.

For different technical reasons, we can't apply the filter driver approach to non-system drives and file containers. That's why we use virtual drives in these cases.
Jan 6, 2016 at 4:01 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the quick response. The Windows Store apps are really starting to get annoying because of how completely inflexible they are.
Jan 10, 2016 at 9:22 AM
Edited Jan 10, 2016 at 9:22 AM
I don't have windows 10, but I'm usually lucky to force apps to behave the way I like using mklink command. Thanks to mklink can some of my applications have their appdata stored on encrypted containter without the need of full system encryption. I think, that similarly you can map your application folder to encrypted VC conainer and use it from there (as long as it it mounted under the letter mklink points to).