Offbeat SVN question

Topics: Technical Issues
Jan 5, 2016 at 1:04 AM
We use SVN as a corporate document repository; most of us do not encrypt our laptops.

I need to since I'm working for a client that requires it; my concern is that - having encrypted my SVN directories, on my next commit, I'll be committing encrypted files b/c Veracrypt only decrypts them when they are called.

Am I correct in this assumption?
Coordinator
Jan 5, 2016 at 10:37 PM
No, VeraCrypt doesn't handle encryption at the file level but to the whole storage. You will checkout the SVN repository into the virtual drive associated with a VeraCrypt volume and you can work normally and after your finish, you dismount the VeraCrypt volume (either explicitely or by shutting down your machine) and after that there will be no trace of the unencrypted SVN repository since it exists only inside the encrypted VeraCrypt volume.

I suggest you to start playing with VeraCrypt to know more about how the encryption works. You can starts by the beginners tutorial in the documentation: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Beginner%27s%20Tutorial
Jan 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2016 at 8:56 PM
Keeping documents on encrypted drive, but sharing them to svn from mounted volume won't make your security aware very client happy ;) You should use something like encfs which is great on linux, but encfs4win for windows is far from perfect, it somehow works when you get used to it though. We use it with dropbox, but windows version needs administrator rights, which is the most annoying thing. I have even seen some encfs compatible commercial alternatives, just can't remeber the name.