This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Changing PIM

Topics: Users Discussion
Dec 31, 2015 at 10:50 AM
I'd like to change the PIM value on my system partition but I had a few questions before I do.
If I leave the new-password field blank, will it just keep my old password or will it remove my password?
If I must enter a password in the new-password field, is it okay to just use the same password that I currently have or is that some kind of security risk?
What is the wipe mode for? I understand what wiping a disk is, but in the context of a PIM and/or password change, what exactly is it going to do?
Jan 3, 2016 at 6:16 PM
So I tested this out and it did make me enter text into the "new password" fields, but it let me enter the same password as I had before. There is no option to not wipe, so I chose 1 pass. Due to the fact that the process was very fast, I'm guessing that it did not do a wipe at all. I'm hoping someone can confirm for me that if I change the PIM value but keep the password the same that it doesn't end up wiping. Also, does it introduce any new risk for me to keep the same password as I change the PIM?

On a related note, what PIM value would be equivalent to Truecrypt? Would that be 1? Because I would like to stay above TrueCrypt's security level, but the default PIM takes a very long time on my system.

[My username is different because I lost my login info to my old account.]
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2016 at 9:31 PM
Hi,

The new password can be identical to the old password. This way, one can specify a different PIM while keeping the original password.

The wipe mode indicated is for wiping the old volume header used by the old password. It is a security feature in case the old password is compromised that overwrite the old header the number of times indicated by the wipe mode to render it unrecoverable using data recovery techniques (recent studies have shown that a simple overwrite, equivalent to 1 pass, is enough).

A PIM value of 1 gives you the quickest mount in VeraCrypt while at the same time being 16 times more secure than TrueCrypt. So, a PIM of 1 would be acceptable if your password is very strong.
Jan 4, 2016 at 12:53 AM
Perfect. Thank you for the information and for developing this program.