Hidden Operating System Questions?

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 30, 2015 at 9:07 PM
Hello Everyone,

For a while now i've been wanting a Hidden Operating System using Veracrypt. In all honesty i'm not very skilled when it comes to encryption and am quite new to it myself. Due to my situation I feel as if the Hidden Operating System feature is a must as I live in a country where things wouldn't exactly be easy for me if I were to refuse giving up encryption keys. Anyway enough silly talk from me. I have some questions that I desperately need answering in order for me to complete the creating of my Hidden Operating System. Please bare with me. Thank you very much for your time.
  1. I have a hard drive which is 2TB in size which I will be using to encrypt the Hidden Operating System with. As Veracrpyt only allows MBR formatted drives I was wondering whether a 2TB hard drive is capable of using MBR?
  2. I came accross some slightly confusing information within the Documentation that I don't quite understand and I apoligize for this.
"when a hidden operating system is running, VeraCrypt ensures that all local unencrypted filesystems and non-hidden VeraCrypt volumes are read-only (i.e. no files can be written to such filesystems or VeraCrypt volumes"

This is the part I don't understand. Does this mean that I will be unable to write any data to the Hidden Operating System at all while I am using the Hidden Operating System?
  1. The Outer Volume will be formatted using NTFS and this is because I would like to store larger files than 4GB on the volume. When I come to the screen that requires me to copy some "sensetive looking files" to the Outer Volume, do I have to do this now? The reason I ask this is because I plan on leaving the Outer Volume empty until I have the "sensetive looking files" I require to use for the Outer Volume as I don't currently have the files I wish to use. I'm just worried because in the Documentation it states that
"the cluster bitmap of the volume will be scanned in order to determine the size of uninterrupted area of free space whose end is aligned with the end of the outer volume"

Does this mean that the Hidden Operating System will now take up all of the Outer Volume and leave me no room for adding "sensetive looking files" at a later time because I didn't add anything to the Outer Volume? I really do apoligize for my lack of knowledge and how silly my question may seem.

Thank you very much for your help.