This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

"Luks Nuke" option & Lower pass char for custom PIM

Topics: Feature Requests
Dec 27, 2015 at 5:40 PM
1st, allow for lower than 20 char pass and use custom PIM
eg: 14-19 char pass with good entropy SHOULD allow for custom PIM
(you can force the use of good entropy, NOT pass length); waiting too much to mount/boot is a killer for most users that do not have Ed.Snowden like data ...
Someone that uses encryption to keep his data safe, should already know what a good pass+PIM combo is, and if not, you can't force everyone just to "protect a few idi*** ...

2nd, any hope for a luks nuke patch like implementation ?
Best regards.
Jan 6, 2016 at 10:57 AM
Why 14? I'm lazy to type so I want 10 characters. Or why not 5, my index finger hurts... :-) Well, 20 was picked by Mounir with knowledge for a reason so you don't need to be an expert to make the right choice. Actually veracrypt enforces those "few idi***" users into not being "idi***" ;-) Veracrypt was forked to be safer than truecrypt. Later Mounir agreed to use PIM, so you can either use short password without PIM or long password with PIM, I think it is a fair approach. Enigma may had been great crypto at that time, but operators were lazy to properly change the wheels, because they thought enigma is strong.
Jan 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM
There is very easy option for those who hate to wait the iterations and want short passwords.... Just install TrueCrypt, create your container/partition with TC and short password if you so prefer, then uninstall TC and here you go.... mount this TC container in VC in TC mode..... no long passwords, no waiting time..... problem solved!
Jan 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM
As long as he won't need to change the password ;) Why not stick with TC completely then? :)
Jan 7, 2016 at 4:53 AM
testoslav wrote:
Why not stick with TC completely then? :)
Because TC's driver is BAD and DANGEROUS...... :)