This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Use original drive letter for mounted volume?

Topics: Users Discussion
Dec 27, 2015 at 3:36 PM
I've just created my first VeraCrypt volume by encrypting a partition of my external hard drive.
When the encryption is completed, VeraCrypt prompts a warning message telling me NEVER to use the original drive letter for the mounted volume, and ONLY use that letter for reformatting (when I feel like starting fresh).

I find that warning a bit strange. First of all, because I've read through the documentation (just because it's fascinating) and found no similar warning (not to say any explanations). Second, because I'd assume VeraCrypt (being reasonable as it is) would not write anything like "D:\" into the volume, and also Windows shouldn't be persistent with the drive letter since it's on a portable hard drive anyway.

I was planning on removing the drive letter from the original partition and free it for the mounted volume to use. But since it's a VeraCrypt warning written in all CAPS, I figure I'd come up here and ask more experienced users (and possibly developers) first.
Jan 25, 2016 at 3:46 AM
Anyone?
I thought this was an easy question...
Jan 25, 2016 at 8:19 PM
HawkTroy wrote:
I was planning on removing the drive letter from the original partition and free it for the mounted volume to use. But since it's a VeraCrypt warning written in all CAPS, I figure I'd come up here and ask more experienced users (and possibly developers) first.
You understand it correctly. Free the letter in diskmgmt.msc first and then you can use this (freed) drive letter in veracrypt.
Jan 28, 2016 at 2:12 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM
You just misunderstood the warning. You should not write data (or format) to the drive letter as long as it is assigned to the partition it was assigned to.
This would circumvent VC and overwrite the VC volume. If you unassign the letter you can use it for mounting that partition, as testoslav said
Marked as answer by HawkTroy on 1/28/2016 at 7:15 AM
Jan 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM
Thank you guys! This clarifies things.