This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Mounting 2 Volumes with the same Password

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 9, 2015 at 6:54 PM
I usually mount 2 different volumes but which have the same password.
Both are Favorite Volumes
When mounting Favorite Volumes, in Truecrypt, I used to enter the Password once and then both favorite volumes opened.
In Veracrypt, I am requested to enter the Password twice: every time for each one of the 2 volumes
Is there a way around this?
Dec 9, 2015 at 7:52 PM
In the VeraCrypt main GUI, click on the Settings > Preferences

At the bottom of the Preferences in the Password Cache section, enable "Temporary Cache password during Mount Favorite Volumes operations".
Dec 10, 2015 at 2:52 AM
Thanks,
It could be expressed in a more accessible language :)

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:57 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
In the VeraCrypt main GUI, click on the Settings > Preferences

At the bottom of the Preferences in the Password Cache section, enable "Temporary Cache password during Mount Favorite Volumes operations".
Thank you SO much Enigma! Having to keep typing in the same passwords for all my encrypted volumes was driving me absolutely crazy! As Samazar said, Truecrypt used to do this automatically. Truecrypt also used to mount and dismount volumes quicker. But as Truecrypt is no longer supported, I had to change to Veracrypt the same as millions of others. It's just a pity that Veracrypt is not as user friendly as was Truecrypt :-/
Mar 21, 2016 at 5:30 PM
VeraCrypt uses higher number of iterations for the hash when mounting a volume due to the security audits of TrueCrypt determine the number of iterations used was too weak for today's computing power.

You can control the mount time with lower iterations if you use a password of 20 more characters using the PIM feature.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Personal%20Iterations%20Multiplier%20%28PIM%29

Since VeraCrypt uses higher iterations for the hash, the mount times are longer. Since TrueCrypt's default behavior was to temporarily cache the password without the user's knowledge in attempt to mount another volume when using Favorites, it was causing some users that used a different password for subsequent volumes in their Favorites to wait for the password to fail.

Those two reasons, 1) temporarily caching the password without user's knowledge or consent and 2) using different passwords for volumes in the Favorites causing extra delays to wait on password failure is the reason VeraCrypt changed the default behavior and added the option to temporary cache password during Favorite volumes operations.