This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Aciddently formatted completely encrypted HDD

Topics: Users Discussion
Dec 8, 2015 at 6:52 PM
While reinstalling W10 on my SSD my storage HDD which was entirely encrypted with veracrypt (not just a container) apparently got wiped / formatted.

Does anyone have any idea how I can retreive all files? can I just use a regular data recovery program?

Any help would be much appreciated
Dec 8, 2015 at 7:13 PM
Are you able to mount the HDD encrypted volume in VeraCrypt?

If no, have you tried mounting using the option button to enable mount using embedded backup header?
Dec 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM
I just used the "restore volume header" function and I am now able to mount the volume.

However when I try to open this volume it just says "You need to format the disk in drive K: before you can use it. Do you want to format it" When I cancel this it says "K: is not accesible. The volume does not contain a recognised file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted"

so I can still not access my files.

Thanks for your help so far.
Dec 9, 2015 at 2:01 AM
See this tread for procedures for performing data recovery.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/646389#post1449277
Dec 12, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Thanks alot!

I have managed to save all files stored on the volume using R-Studio, except a veracrypt container that was also stored inside the volume. None of the recovery software seemed to be able to find this volume
Dec 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM
It depends on how the data is recovered. If a file table (FAT, MFT) is completely destroyed, the revocery software scans the "empty" parts of the drive
for patterns of known file types.
As a container is random data, no tool can detect it as a file from that perspective.