This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Auto-Dismount on Shutdown

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 19, 2015 at 3:51 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2015 at 3:54 PM
I am using VC 1.16 with great success. Many thanks for keeping this capability alive.

My only issue is that I can not auto-dismount my encrypted drive on power shutdown. When I restart my computer my encrypted drives are open which is unsatisfactory. Below is my preferences setup:

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:05 PM
Nov 19, 2015 at 6:08 PM
Thanks Enigma2Illusion. That link did, indeed, point me to a solution.

For the benefit of others, the issue is how Win 8.1 and Win 10 shutdown. Rather than do a full shutdown, in order allow a faster startup experience, these OSs perform a hibernate procedure, saving all settings at the time of shutdown. As result Veracrypt never gets a shutdown signal. It just goes into hibernation,

Since this is inadequate from a security perspective, followed the instructions at Full Shutdown Shortcut

Now when I want a full shutdown on my Win 10 desktop system, I use the new Full Shutdown icon in my Start menu and Veracrypt is closed. The price for this is longer boot time upon restart.
Nov 19, 2015 at 8:07 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2015 at 8:08 PM
Another drawback to hibernating your system is the encryption keys of all currently mounted volumes are written to the Windows hibernation file.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Hibernation%20File