This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Convert TrueCrypt to VeraCrypt

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Nov 13, 2015 at 6:40 PM
I have 4 TrueCrypt volumes that contain PDF, Word & Excel documents. I wanted to be converted these volumes into VeraCrypt volumes. To do this I simply found the TrueCrypt volumes through the VeraCrypt dashboard, used Volume Tools.... > Change Password > checked the "TrueCrypt Mode" and change the passwords. Once that process was done, I was able to mount and open the volume. But, my issues is, now some of the documents inside the volume became "read-only". Specifically the Excel spreadsheet. Also, when I tried to "Save As.." the documents and was told I didn't have permissions. I checked the document permissions and I do have the correct permissions.

Lastly, all the volumes were created and converted on a PC. Opening and accessing the volumes were done on a MAC.

Can someone tell me if I don't some thing wrong?

Abraxas
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM
Hi,

Just to clarify:
  • does the read only issue happens on MacOSX only or does it happen also on Windows?
  • Is the entire mounted volume read-only (for example you can create a new file) or just few files are read-only?
Nov 16, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Hi idrassi!!

The read only issue happens on the MacOSX only. It does not happen on the Windows.

As far as I can tell its the whole volume, that is read-only.

Thanks

Abraxas
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Hi Abraxas,

Are you volumes formatted using NTFS? If so, then it is normal that they are readonly on MacOSX since by default OSX supports NTFS in readonly mode.

The following link can help you activate read/write support for NTFS in OSX: http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/02/enable-ntfs-write-support-mac-os-x/