This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

problem with outer volume password

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM
Hi.
I am encountering a strange problem. I have an encrypted hidden volume, which I am using with no problem.
There is a problem, however, when I try to mount the outer volume. Veracrypt refuses to mount the volume because of "incorrect password", incorrect PIM etc.

The thing is that I am very very certain that I am entering the correct password. Also, I have not set PIM (for the outer volume) and generally haven't done anything that I would not remember.
So, I am rather perplexed.

At some point I started using PIM with the hidden volume.
I wonder whether this procedure (to set up PIM etc) inadvertently created problems to the outer volume header.
That's a guess from ignorance, however. I do not know how PIM is set up etc.

Any ideas, welcome...
Nov 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Have you tried mounting the outer volume by clicking on the Mount Options button and select "Use backup header embedded in volume if available"?

Also, if you are protecting your hidden volume when mounting the outer volume (highly recommended), you need to enter the correct hidden volume password and PIM in the mount options screen.
Nov 5, 2015 at 2:55 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2015 at 2:56 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your response.
I tried using the backup header, no luck.
I also tried two more times with the hidden volume protection on, one using the backup header and one with this option unchecked.

No luck.

For all intends and purposes it appears that I am using the wrong password.

One has to take my word for this: no, I am NOT using the wrong password.

As I said, I am rather confused.

:-/
Nov 5, 2015 at 5:41 PM
pwei09 wrote:
At some point I started using PIM with the hidden volume.
I wonder whether this procedure (to set up PIM etc) inadvertently created problems to the outer volume header.
That's a guess from ignorance, however. I do not know how PIM is set up etc.
I tested using a file container with outer and hidden volumes using the program default for PIM (blank or 0).

Using password change for the hidden volume, I assigned PIM value of 1.

I was able to successfully mount the outer volume using the password with default PIM (blank or 0) and I am able to mount the hidden with password and PIM value 1 successfully.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Personal%20Iterations%20Multiplier%20%28PIM%29
Nov 5, 2015 at 6:08 PM
pwei09, I would recommend you doing the same as Enigma2Illusion has done, that is, make outer + hidden container then change the password of the inner container (exactly as you have done before).... So the same thing as Enigma2Illusion, but on YOUR machine.... and lets see whether you will experience the problem again?

One more thing, the outer container, have you ever written any files to it? Was it only initially when you were creating everything or you added/deleted something in a later stage? Have you ever successfully mounted the outer container before the problem occurred? Was the outer fat? and the inner? Did you ever change the volume label of the outer container (most ppl dont, they just leave the default)?
Nov 6, 2015 at 1:43 AM
Hi !

Alex512, I did make the experiment you suggest -- exactly what Enigma2Illusion has done.

I was not able to reproduce the problem...

I even tried to create a outer / hidden volume duo, and only then change the PIM value on the hidden volume, i.e. after I have created it.

No, the problem I have reported has NOT been reproduced.

I must admit that I am getting more and more confused..

I do not believe in ghosts, so there is only one possibility:

I must have indeed forgotten the password of my initial outer volume... That's almost bizarre but I do not see any other explanation.

What else can I say...

Thanks again for your help...