This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Funding exFAT support?

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues
Oct 16, 2015 at 5:21 PM
Hi all

We have a lengthy discussion at work (at a Norwegian college) of what crypto software to use. It's about sensitive data, often big data, and it needs to be portable. The problem is the users mostly aren't able to split up large files (typically video) to allow it to be stored on FAT. Since our environment is mixed, users on Windows, Mac and occationally Linux, we need something that is portable and also supports large files.

Would it be able to fund integration of exFAT somehow? As far as I can see, VeraCrypt does most things with FUSE already, so licensing/patenting shouldn't be an issue. There's exFAT support in Linux already, ready to use.

best,

roy
Nov 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM
I don't have anything to do with VC but it can use any filesystem already as long as the OS has support

in linux or whatever you would create your volume and format it with and initial no filesystem or something like fat (for now)

Linux
after you create the volume you would do something like
veracrypt --filesystem=none --slot=0 /dev/sda1

then you would proceed to create an exfat filesystem using the Veracrypt Device Mapper device with
mkfs,exfat /dev/mapper/veracrypt0

and finally mount it
mount -t exfat /dev/mapper/veracrypt0 /mnt/whereever

now you have exfat. to mount in the future just do
veracrypt --filesystem=none --slot=0 /dev/sda1
mount -t exfat /dev/mapper/veracrypt0 /mnt/whereever

windows should be able to mount it native using the GUI, and i'm not 100% not sure about mac you might have to use command line like linux
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2015 at 9:59 PM
The manual approach described by Pogo should work on Linux machines. This could be included in VeraCrypt the same way NTFS is handled, through calling the external mkfs.extfat.

On MacOSX, extfat support seems to be included by default but adding it to VeraCrypt requires a little more work.

For now, adding exfat support is not a priority but a small funding or a working patch from a developer can accelerate things.
Dec 7, 2015 at 4:02 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM
There's actually a working workaround even for exfat and even on windows ;-)
  1. create volume, select none filesystem
  2. settings-preferences-check mount as removable media
  3. mount the newly created volume
  4. open the unformatted veracrypt letter, windows format prompt appears, you just select exfat, quick format and voila ;-)
  5. settings-preferences-uncheck mount as removable media (optional)
Reformat existing fat/ntfs should work too.

Btw. NTFS has much better support under linux than exfat and patent sucks, I'd stay away form it as far as possible. I know Aplle is evil and bad, but is that really that bad it does not even support ntfs? My openwrt router works with ntfs fine (write too), however exfat is not supported, because of the patent.
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2016 at 8:27 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2016 at 8:28 PM
I have added the possibility of creating exFAT volumes directly from VeraCrypt on Windows and also on Linux is mkfs.exfat is available (it comes with exfat-utils package available on latest Linux distributions thanks to this free exFAT implementation).
On MacOSX, I didn't find how to create exFAT volumes so it is not available on OSX.

In all cases, VeraCrypt doesn't use any exFAT source code but rather it calls the OS exFAT functionality when available (FormatEx function on Windows and mkfs.exfat on Linux). So, any patent issue is on the side of the OS, not VeraCrypt.

For testing, you can grab the latest 1.17-BETA18 binary.
Jan 29, 2016 at 12:00 PM
Edited Jan 29, 2016 at 12:00 PM
"VeraCrypt doesn't use any exFAT source code but rather it calls the OS exFAT functionality when available (FormatEx function on Windows and mkfs.exfat on Linux). "

Will it leave any trace on a Windows 7 machine? A leak or something?

Will it be possible to expand exFat volumes?
Jan 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM
idrassi wrote:
I have added the possibility of creating exFAT volumes directly from VeraCrypt on Windows and also on Linux is mkfs.exfat is available (it comes with exfat-utils package available on latest Linux distributions thanks to this free exFAT implementation).
On MacOSX, I didn't find how to create exFAT volumes so it is not available on OSX.
See newfs_exfat

Thanks for the effort!

roy
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2016 at 10:50 PM
Thank you Roy for the hint! I don't know how I missed it...

I have now added exFAT creation support to OSX version as well: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/31c5819121d73f20b5533ea0e016746e2946bcd0

It will be included in the next build.