This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

partially encrypted disk

Topics: Technical Issues
Oct 16, 2015 at 2:46 AM
Hello everyone! I started encrypting laptop drive (Win 7 Home), then Vera Crypt said there are bad sectors on the disk. I stopped the encryption (Dismiss option), turned it off and took the laptop to my office. I turned it on in the office, the laptop display came up flickering, I was still able to enter VeraCrypt password, logged into the Windows system, and then the laptop died. The laptop is gone, doesn't even turn on. Now I have a partially encrypted drive and I need the data. I tried to put the drive in another computer, boot from the rescue CD that was created by VeraCrypt, but it doesn't take the VeraCrypt password that I used for encryption. I can't mount the drive on a functional computer, because the drive encryption wasn't finished. I assume I need to find a computer where I could boot the laptop system, and finish encryption there, or just copy everything to another drive. The problem is, that all computers that I tried so far, after I enter the VeraCrypt password and Windows starts booting, produce a Windows blue screen due to incompatible chipset, or something of that nature. What else can I try, short of getting the same laptop on eBay? Thank you.
Oct 16, 2015 at 11:56 AM
I assuming you tried to do system encryption. When you try to open the disk from a different machine,
There is a "Mount Option" - go there and select the option: Mount partition using system encryption without pre-boot authentication.

I think that should solve your problem. The System encryption is a bit different than the normal container encryption.