This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Keep Volume Labels in Windows

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues
Sep 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM
Using VeraCrypt, my volume labels get messed up, when I mount the container to a different drive letter. Either the name of the volume is removed or - even worse - the label of another volume is shown. Is there a known fix?
This is pretty nasty, as I have different containers of the same size....
Sep 29, 2015 at 5:00 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2015 at 8:08 PM
I am unable to recreate the problem on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system using 1.15 version of VeraCrypt.

1. I created a small file container and mounted the encrypted volume.
  2. In Windows Explorer, I right clicked on the mounted volume shown on the left-hand pane, select Properties and change the blank volume name to "Test Me 4 Fun" and click OK.
  3. I unmount and remount to the same drive letter to make sure I get the custom volume label is displayed. The volume still had the custom volume.
  4. I then unmount and remount to a different drive letters and I still get the custom volume label.
  5. I then reboot my PC and repeated the two tests above and I get the custom volume label.
  6. I Added the volume to Favorites and changed the VeraCrypt label to "Look At Me". The file container now shows in the VeraCrypt GUI as "Look At Me" and Windows Explorer shows the volume label as "Test Me 4 Fun".
  7. Repeated mounting and remounting to different drive letters including rebooting my PC and I get the expected custom labels in VeraCrypt GUI and Windows Explorer.
Can you repeat my tests to see if you get the same results?

If you do not get the same results as my tests, please provide OS and VeraCrypt version you are using.
Sep 30, 2015 at 11:08 PM
step 1-3 work fine for me. With step 4, the device gets a name which I gave to another VC container mounted volume. The volume is stored letter-wise and upon mount simply that volume's name is chosen that was relabeled last using the same drive letter.

e.g. I label volume "a" mounted with letter "m" as "am"
and I label volume "b" mounted with letter "n" as "bn"
if I unmount both and remount vice versa, drive m is labeled am and drive n is labeled bn - but it schould be the other way around...

VC 1.14, Win 7 x64 SP1
Oct 1, 2015 at 1:51 AM
Edited Oct 1, 2015 at 8:08 PM
Hello,

I retested step 4 using two file containers called test1.hc and test2.hc.

I mounted both file containers in VeraCrypt to letters O (test1.hc) and P (test2.hc).

In Windows Explorer, I right-click on each drive shown on the left-hand pane, select Properties and named them Disk1 and Disk2 respectively which I see in Windows Explorer.

I then dismount both volumes and mounted them swapping drive letters. Letters O (test2.hc) and P (test1.hc) and in Windows Explorer I see the correct Disk2 for O and Disk1 for P drive letters.

I rebooted my PC and retested the above with the same correct results on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with all latest MS patches now running 1.15 Beta Sept 18 due to issues with production version 1.15. The 1.15 Beta Sept 18 version corrected the failure of mounting of favorite volumes at user logon.

I downgraded VeraCrypt to version 1.14 and using two new file containers test3.hc & test4.hc with different Windows Drive labels "I am Disk 3" and "I am Disk 4" I repeated the tests above successfully.

I am not able to recreate your problem with my system.
Oct 1, 2015 at 4:37 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2015 at 7:05 PM
Another idea if you are willing, is to use the utility below to remove all currently non present USB Storage Devices, Disks, CDROMs, Floppies, Storage Volumes and WPD devices from the device tree. Furthermore it removes orphaned registry items related to these device types.

I request you use version 0.9.0 and not the latest version due the latest version does not wipe existing devices from the registry.

Create a directory and unzip the files into the directory.
Start a command line prompt.
Change into the directory and since you are using 64-bit Windows OS, change into x64 subdirectory.
Dismount all volumes.

To see what the utility will remove from the registry:

drivecleanup -T

To remove items the registry:

drivecleanup

Reboot PC after running utility.

Any USB that was not currently connected to your PC will be install again by Windows and you may have to manually reassign the drive letters in Windows Disk Management if you had certain drive letters for an external hard drive or thumbdrives.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup090.zip

I have performed this numerous times on my system to remove all registry entries including valid devices due to tests with file containers.

If anyone knows of a better free utility, please post it.
Oct 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2015 at 6:19 PM
So what else can I do to find the cause for this issue?
Any Idea?

EDIT2: About 300 Entries were removed - but the problem remains. Even the old names are still used.
I did not close VC and I did not reboot. I just dismounted all volumes in VC and used an Admin-cmd to start DriveCleaner.

EDIT3: using the "vol" cmd-command, the result is surprising! The output states that the Volume with drive letter x: has no volume name!

EDIT4: In Regedit I found out where the labels are stored:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons

EDIT5: I found the reason. If you rename a volume in "my computer" (F2 or context menu), the mentioned registry entry is created. This name is a default name, which is used when no volume-specific name is specified.
If you set the volume label in the volume properties, the volume-specific name is specified.....
Oct 1, 2015 at 7:04 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2015 at 8:09 PM
I forgot that you should reboot after running the DriveCleanup utility. I will edit my post to include this step.

EDIT:
Interesting discovery you made regarding the two methods of renaming a volume label causing the issue. Good job!

EDIT 2:
Update my posts for the tests to specify that I right-hand click on the drives shown on the left-hand pane in Windows Explorer.