adding a drive to favorites... setid

Topics: Technical Issues
Sep 25, 2015 at 5:21 AM
I am trying to add an external USB HDD to veracrypt's favorites, but when I do, I'm presented with the following error:
The volume you are adding to favorites is a partition not recognized by Windows.

VeraCrypt will be unable to mount this favorite volume if the device number changes. Please set the type of the partition to a type recognized by Windows (use the SETID command of the Windows 'diskpart' tool). Then add the partition to favorites again.
I can't find anything in the documentation or here in the forums about it. What do I need to set and not screw up my partition or have to reformat the disk?
Sep 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM
If you view the external HDD disk partition in Windows Disk Management, the partition should be listed as RAW due to encryption. What is the type in Disk Management?

Did you encrypt the device or partitions on the device? There is a difference.

Was the external HDD originally formatted on MAC OS?
Sep 25, 2015 at 5:49 PM
Here are some diskpart commands to determine the disk type for the partition/volume.

With the VeraCrypt volume unmounted on the external HDD, run the command prompt as administrator.

At the command line prompt, perform the following (in this example, we will use disk 2 as your external HDD).

diskpart
list disk <--- Look for your external HDD. In this example, I am calling it Disk 2.
select disk 2
detail disk <--- Look for the volume(s) that have Fs as RAW. In this example, Volume 3 is the RAW filesystem to your external HDD.
list partition <--- Look for partition number that matches the Size from the detail disk command. In this example, Partition 2.
select partition 2
detail partition

What is the value of Type?

help setid
exit

The "help setid" will provide detail explanation of the various types.

My volume's type are listed as: ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7 which according to the help setid is "Basic data partition".

As always, have backup of your data on the volume in case you render the volume unusable if you attempt to change the type.
Sep 25, 2015 at 8:24 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2015 at 8:25 PM
Here is the output.
DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

Disk 0 Online 931 GB 0 B *
Disk 1 Online 2794 GB 0 B *
Disk 2 Online 2794 GB 0 B *
Disk 3 Online 2794 GB 0 B *
Disk 4 Online 5589 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 4

Disk 4 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

Seagate FA GoFlex Desk USB Device
Disk ID: XX###X##
Type : USB
Path : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No

There are no volumes.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset

Partition 1 Primary 5589 GB 4096 B

DISKPART> select partition 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> detail partition

Partition 1
Type : EE
Hidden: Yes
Active: No
Offset in Bytes: 4096

There is no volume associated with this partition.
When I created it, I used:
Volumes>Create New Volume

Encrypt a non-system partition/drive

Standard VeraCrypt volume

Selected the Device

Create encrypted volume and format it

Didn't change any options for the Encryption Options (left it as AES & SHA-512)

Verified the volume size

Created a password

Said yes to large files

Volume format was left as NTFS and Default cluster size. I did NOT check Quick Format. Moved the mouse randomly for some time. Hit format and walked away for 9 hours while it did its thing.

This was all done on Windows. No Mac or Linux variants used.
Sep 25, 2015 at 8:48 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2015 at 8:53 PM
Perhaps one of the other forum members that have encrypted their non-system device and not a partition can run the diskpart commands to see if the Type = EE, Hidden = Yes and they can add it to their Favorites without error.
Sep 25, 2015 at 8:55 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2015 at 4:31 AM
In my research into this, I have found that EE = legacy MBR followed by an EFI header.
Sep 25, 2015 at 9:45 PM
What is your PC's version of Window OS?
Sep 25, 2015 at 9:47 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2015 at 4:31 AM
Windows 10 Home

Edit: ...and the latest version of VeraCrypt.
Oct 2, 2015 at 6:45 AM
Does anyone know more about this? If I want to use SETID on the drive, can I back up the header in case something goes awry, attempt my changes and if it doesn't work, re-apply the header and NOT lose my data?