Windows 7 still crashing

Topics: Users Discussion
Sep 23, 2015 at 1:05 PM
I am using the latest version of VeraCrypt, 1.14. When I shut down the computer, it crashes most of the time. Sometimes if I run VeraCrypt to unmount the encrypted drive, I get a message about open files, which there are none. If I continue it crashes. Are others having this problem?
The crashes occur on the desktop computer. I should check to see if the same problem exists on the laptop.
Sep 23, 2015 at 2:50 PM
You might try installing Windows Sysinternals Process Explorer to see which program has a particular file or directory open.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Which Anti-Virus are you running?
Sep 24, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Edited Sep 24, 2015 at 12:47 AM
The Laptop doesn't crash.

I am using Avast anti-virus.

I will try to see if I can see an open file in Process explorer, but there is so much stuff listed it is hard to deal with.

As a test, I just asked VeraCrypt to dismount the encrypted drive, and the system crashed immediately, with no message about an open file. I didn't see any files from this drive open in Process Explorer.
Sep 24, 2015 at 12:49 AM
Edited Sep 24, 2015 at 12:53 AM
Can you check the Windows Event Viewer and post the errors that occurred at the time of the crash?

Did the system BSOD? What error message was on the crash screen?
Sep 24, 2015 at 8:00 PM
Did the system BSOD? What error message was on the crash screen?
A problem has been detected....
If this is the first time.....
Check for adequate disk space. If a driver....
Technical Info:
*** STOP 0x0000007E(0xFFFFFFFFC000005,0x FFFFF8002CA2B8B, 0xFFFFF88005CD098, 0xFFFFF88005CD01F0)

Collecting data for crash dump....
Complete.

Much of this same info shows up on restart, if you ask for details. It says:
Problem Event Name Blue Screen
OS 6.1.7001.7.1.0.768.3
Locale 1033
The above codes are given names: BCP1,2,3,4

I looked in C:\Windows\minidump. the latest has a date code matching the time of the crash. I can look at it
using Notepad or Notepad++, but I don't see anything useful.

Another file was mentioned: C:\Users\Bob\Appdata\Local\TEmp\WER-43961-0.Sysdata.xml
I could not find it.
Sep 24, 2015 at 8:06 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2015 at 8:07 PM
Can you check the Windows Event Viewer and post the errors that occurred at the time of the crash?
I really don't know where to look in the Event Viewer. I did find one message, with a time probably at restart time, not the crash.
It said it was unable to recreate share HP_Laptop.... C:\Backup(GTW-K)HP_Laptop No longer exists.

I can fix that by typing "net share HP_Laptop/delete" It refers to a laptop I no longer own, and whose backup is no longer on this computer.

Where can I find something relevant to the crash?
Sep 24, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Is the laptop running Windows 7 and same version of Avast anti-virus as your desktop? Maybe try disable/remove Avast.

Generally, BSOD are hardware or driver issues. In the Event Viewer, look for items marked with yellow and red icons near the time of the BSOD.

You can try this tool for viewing for root cause of the BSOD. I cannot personally vouch for BlueScreenView tool, but it looks easily to use.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
Sep 25, 2015 at 12:58 AM
Edited Sep 25, 2015 at 1:01 AM
Is the laptop running Windows 7 and same version of Avast anti-virus as your desktop? Maybe try disable/remove Avast.
I will try disabling Avast if the "Hauppauge" removal fails to cure the crashing
Generally, BSOD are hardware or driver issues. In the Event Viewer, look for items marked with yellow and red icons near the time of the BSOD.

You can try this tool for viewing for root cause of the BSOD. I cannot personally vouch for BlueScreenView tool, but it looks easily to use.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
I downloaded and ran this tool. Thanks for the info.

I noticed an odd piece of software shown in Process Explorer. : Hauppaguw WinTV version 7.
As a test, I "Killed" the process in PE, then had 2 successful dismounts of VeraCrypt plus a good shutdown.
What I want to do is prevent this program from loading.
Part of the info about it is that the "User" is NT Authority System.
Can you tell me how to access the list of programs that load each time Widows starts?
Sep 25, 2015 at 3:44 AM
Edited Sep 25, 2015 at 3:50 AM
You check how to remove this software if you are not using it.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_wintv7.html

Check if the software is starting via Windows Services. Right click on their software, select Properties and select Disable.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

If you cannot find the service, check msconfig (type this in the search box after clicking on the MS globe in lower left corner) and check the Boot and Service Tabs.
Sep 25, 2015 at 1:05 PM
After 3 times shutting down successfully with the Hauppague software disabled, it crashed again. So I am ready to try disabling Avast.

Easier said than done. I can't suspend or kill Avast in Process explorer.
Using msconfig, if I uncheck Avast, then either quit msconfig or hit Apply" it rechecks itself.
If I try to rename avast.exe, it says I need permission from the administrator (me).
Windows is a very frustrating OS.
How do I get permission from me?
Sep 25, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Hello,

When you ran the BlueScreenView tool, what driver(s) did it report?

You will have to contact Avast support on how to temporarily disable their software.
Sep 25, 2015 at 8:08 PM
When you ran the BlueScreenView tool, what driver(s) did it report?
Drivers mentioned in last 3 crashes: dump_dumpfve.sys, Usbccgp.sys, and aswmonFlt.sys

Previous crash dumps mentioned NTOSkrnl and wanarp.sys

I am beginning to think that letting it crash may be the best option.
Sep 25, 2015 at 8:34 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2015 at 8:51 PM
If you Google search each of the *.sys files, you will find a link about BSOD with Avast and MSDN Development Platform. At this point, I would uninstall Avast to determine if the BSOD stops occurring.

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/bsod-blue-screen-error/sys/windows/avast-software-a-s/avast-antivirus/aswmonflt-sys/

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/bsod-blue-screen-error/sys/windows/microsoft/msdn-development-platform-u-s/wanarp-sys/

I am beginning to think that letting it crash may be the best option.
If you continue to have crashes, a file or disk is going to get corrupted with loss of data. I would rebuild the system if you cannot resolve your crashes.
Marked as answer by RobertMc on 9/28/2015 at 5:23 AM
Sep 28, 2015 at 12:22 PM
I upgraded Avast to the latest version. Included was a fresh copy of aswmonFlt.sys. I have had no crashes since Friday, Sep 25 when I did the installation.
Thanks for all your help.