This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

VeraCryptwith OneDrive

Topics: Users Discussion
Sep 23, 2015 at 6:23 AM
Can I use veracrypt to encrypt the files stored on my OneDrive?
Sep 23, 2015 at 8:41 PM
You could use it, but in reality you would do this only in rare cases, because it is not really designed for single file encryption.

You would have to have one of both:
  • A very fast internet connection
  • A very small container file (could be a bad idea in some cases)
Why is that so?
If you change some thing on a file inside of an encrypted container, you will have to re upload the whole container (if the syncing utility isn't capable of binary diffing the changes)

What should I do?
I really should not give you any advice in what you should use or not, but you should first check, what happens if you lets say upload a 500 MB file using the sync client. After it has finished uploading change some thing (Word document inside 500 MB container => Change some letters) and watch what your sync client is doing. Is it finished after a view seconds ore does it take as long as before? In the faster scenario, you should use it, why not?
But in the later one, you may should consider using something like pgp where only your files are encrypted (Create one key per user and device; than while encrypting select the public keys from them you want to be able to open the file z. B. My Smartphone and My Notebook but not My PC). But that is a separate topic, that we could discuss later.