This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Deduplication

Topics: Feature Requests
Sep 19, 2015 at 12:24 AM
I would appreciate a feature that implements cluster based data duplication.
So that every 30 days or on user action a maintenance task runs and checks for identical clusters and link them together so that the cluster is stored only once on the disk (may it its possible to detect copy actions directly, too?).

So imagine the following scenario:
You put a big document onto your encrypted volume and make a copy of it into the same path.
Now the clusters where the document is saved are identical and should become one.
But if you open one of both and change something the changes are saved into a new cluster.

This would be possible independent of the used file-system because its one layer beneath.
Sep 19, 2015 at 3:13 PM
In my opinion, deduplication software is used for backup targets to reduce disk space usage and would be out of scope for an encryption utility.

If using client-side software for deduplication, I would prefer no deduplication for files that exist in an encrypted volume in case some of the data blocks are damaged allowing me to recover a copied file/backup of the file as in your example. :-)
Sep 19, 2015 at 3:43 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
In my opinion, deduplication software is used for backup targets to reduce disk space usage and would be out of scope for an encryption utility.

If using client-side software for deduplication, I would prefer no deduplication for files that exist in an encrypted volume in case some of the data blocks are damaged allowing me to recover a copied file/backup of the file as in your example. :-)
agree 100% !