Available Drive letters for mounting Veracrypt have vanished from selection in the Veracrypt Window?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Sep 17, 2015 at 8:39 PM
I'm using Veracrypt version 1.14 on Windows 10.

I normally use drive letters O: thru Z: for Veracrypt. After installing Version 1.14, Drive possibilities have been reduced. The Veracrypt Drive display has lost drive letters M: thru O: and Z:

These device letters are not being used otherwise.

I have also uninstalled/installed Veracrpt, but that didn't fix the problem.

How do I get them back?
Sep 18, 2015 at 3:46 AM
Do you see the missing drive letters assigned in Disk Management?
Sep 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM
No I don't see the drive letters missing in the Veracrypt window in disk management. Nor do I see those listed in the Veracrypt window in disk management.
Those drive letters shown in the Veracrypt window normally don't show in disk management until I have mounted them in Veracrypt.

Accordingly, the missing drive letters seems to me to be a Veracrypt issue.
Sep 18, 2015 at 4:18 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2015 at 5:14 PM
Were the VeraCrypt volumes mounted or dismounted when you performed the upgrade to version 1.14 which requires a reboot?

Did you dismount the VeraCrypt volumes before rebooting?

Any other software recently installed or updated?

What Anti Virus are you using on your computer? There are reports of certain AV that have known issues with TC/VC. This may be a new issue on Win10 platforms.

Read this thread to see if it is applicable to your situation. The thread had two solutions, one was removing software that mounts ISO files as CDs and the other was to edit the registry.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/09097b7b-c099-4b4f-9482-4b0759ea6c94/drive-letter-missing-after-removing-hard-drive
Sep 18, 2015 at 6:08 PM
When I upgraded to VC 1.14, VC volumes were closed and VC 1.13 was shutdown. I did a upgrade rather that uninstall/install when upgrading to VC 1.14.

I subsequently, uninstalled VC 1.14, rebooted, and reinstalled VC 1.14. This process did not help with my issue.

Based on the last reply, I went to a system window. I used diskpart/list volume. I get the following list...

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

Volume 0 D DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 1 C OS NTFS Partition 921 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 2 ESP FAT32 Partition 500 MB Healthy System
Volume 3 WINRETOOLS NTFS Partition 750 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 4 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 5 PBR Image NTFS Partition 8 GB Healthy Hidden
Volume 6 M Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 7 I NTFS Partition 1862 GB Healthy
Volume 8 N Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 9 O Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 10 Z Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 11 E Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 12 F Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 13 G Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 14 H Removable 0 B No Media
Volume 15 K NTFS Partition 1862 GB Healthy

Note I usually use Devices P thru Z as VC volumes and VC normally lists O: thru Z:. Now the VC list of available Drives have been scambled and is A:, B:, J:, M:, Q:, R:, S:, T:, U:, V:, W:, X:, Y:. That is, now, N:, O::, P:, and Z: have vanished.

Hope this clarifies my issue.

Currently
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2015 at 9:39 PM
Hi,

Disappearing drive letters is a know Windows issue and it is not specific to VeraCrypt. It is often related to removable media assigned to drive letter and not being cleanly dismounted which makes Windows reserves the associated letter even after reboot.

You can read about this here: http://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/drive-letter-is-missing-in-windows.html#drive-letter-list

As the link above explains, to recover the missing drive letters, you have to use Regedit to navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices" and their look for entries associated with the missing drive letters (in you case, look for "\DosDevices\N:", "\DosDevices\O:", "\DosDevices\P:" and "\DosDevices\Z"). You can simply remove those entries and after rebooting Windows, the drive letter will be back.

I hope this will help.
Sep 19, 2015 at 9:59 PM
Thanks very much idrassi Coordinator. Yourreply fixed my problem.

I used your Regeit instructions and that did the trick. VeraCrypt is now behaving as expected. Now I know my blame on VC was miss directed, its behavior was just the symptom.