This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Multiple Volume Creator AND Size Calculator.

Topics: Feature Requests
Sep 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM
Edited Sep 17, 2015 at 7:16 AM
Hello, I've used Veracrypt and Truecrypt for a while, and I have read both documentation.

Somewhere it says that it isn't safe to copy a volume in order to have two volumes of the same size for convenience, and tells you to make two or more volumes using VeraCrypt Volume Creation Wizard.

But.. Why not make an option, where you can select in a box like the one that says "Display Password" or "PIM", that says something like: Create a number of volumes, where you can specify each size and password and VeraCrypt Volume Creation Wizard will take care of the rest, all at once. Maybe not many but two or three volumes at once. Or, that gives you only one option for password and size, but makes (gives you the option to create) more than one volume at once.

Another idea I have is:

Since Veracrypt is not an individual file encryption software, which is OK, but some people might complaint. Why not make an option where you can select a bunch of files you want to encrypt (or many folders) and Veracrypt will calculate the space needed to create a volume that will host these files, and then give you the option to create it. It would make it way more versatile. Nowadays you have to calculate yourself and sometimes it's not enough or it was too much, but you realize AFTER it's made.

Thank you, it's a great software with many improvements!
Sep 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM
Snowd wrote:
Hello, I've used Veracrypt and Truecrypt for a while, and I have read both documentation.

Somewhere it says that it isn't safe to copy a volume in order to have two volumes of the same size for convenience, and tells you to make two or more volumes using VeraCrypt Volume Creation Wizard.

LOL, I never thought of it that way, i thought 99,9999% of the users would be tempted to backup their files by simply copying the encrypted volume to the backup location..... now i see that this bad security practice could be applied if somebody just wants to have equally sized containers :)

But.. Why not make an option, where you can select in a box like the one that says "Display Password" or "PIM", that says something like: Create a number of volumes, where you can specify each size and password and VeraCrypt Volume Creation Wizard will take care of the rest, all at once. Maybe not many but two or three volumes at once. Or, that gives you only one option for password and size, but makes (gives you the option to create) more than one volume at once.

That is an option of course, but i bet my mother in law's silver spoon that there will be very few, if any, who will be using this option... In fact, you might be the only one :)

Another idea I have is:

Since Veracrypt is not an individual file encryption software, which is OK, but some people might complaint. Why not make an option where you can select a bunch of files you want to encrypt (or many folders) and Veracrypt will calculate the space needed to create a volume that will host these files, and then give you the option to create it. It would make it way more versatile. Nowadays you have to calculate yourself and sometimes it's not enough or it was too much, but you realize AFTER it's made.

Again, this could be implemented, but there will be no others who will want to use it. I personally, in such case, just select these files, check their total size and make the necessary container to copy them.... not a big deal :)
Sep 18, 2015 at 4:13 AM
I agree with Alex.

I cannot see users creating new encrypted volumes that frequently to justify adding these features to Mounir's heavy workload.

Another concern I would have for automatically creating other volumes is that you need to be prompted for the screen for moving your mouse randomly to increase the strength of the encryption and header keys. To implement the requested feature would likely require significant GUI rewrite.

You appear to have a special use case for frequently creating volumes with certain files per volume. Disk encryption programs are not meant to replace file level encryption programs for sending encrypted data.