This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hung on: Please wait... This process may take a long time and VeraCrypt may seem unresponsive.

Topics: Technical Issues
Sep 14, 2015 at 10:01 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2015 at 10:01 PM
Trying to load my extremely important files I encrypted with VeraCrypt

Please wait... This process may take a long time and VeraCrypt may seem unresponsive.

It is not loading as fast a normally, it just becomes unresponsive every time.

Had to CTRL+ALT+DELTE and force restart my computer, restarted, tried a different USB port.. same issue

Smh.

What is going on?
Sep 14, 2015 at 10:17 PM
What OS are you using?
What version of VeraCrypt are you running?
What version of VeraCrypt did you use to create the volume?
What type of volume? File container, partition or entire drive.
What type of drive? HDD or thumbdrive.
Are you using cascades?
Are you using Autodetection for the hash instead of selecting the hash you used when you created the volume?
How long did it take to mount previously?
Have you tried using the embedded backup header using the Options button when mounting?
Sep 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Update: It completely makes Windows Explorer unresponsive, it finally mounted after a half hour but completly unable to open My Computer, its causing windows explorer to freeze every time.

What OS are you using?
Windows 7 64 Bit
What version of VeraCrypt are you running?
What version of VeraCrypt did you use to create the volume?
No idea, didnt know I was supposed to log that information
What type of volume? File container, partition or entire drive.
Entire Drive
What type of drive? HDD or thumbdrive.
External HDD
Are you using cascades?
Don't know what that means, not a programmer
Are you using Autodetection for the hash instead of selecting the hash you used when you created the volume?
Yes, I dont remember what hash I selected. I used TrueCrypt for years without issues
How long did it take to mount previously?
5-10 seconds
Have you tried using the embedded backup header using the Options button when mounting?
Sep 14, 2015 at 10:43 PM
Just upgraded VeraCrypt, same issues. Starting to wish I continued using TrueCrypt a this point I have 5 years of data I cant access
Sep 14, 2015 at 10:50 PM
Do you have any errors in the Windows Event Viewer when mounting the drive?

It seems like your hard drive is failing.
Are you using cascades?
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Cascades

When you are on the password screen there is drop-down list called PKC5-PRF (this is the hash). If you are using Autodetection, VeraCrypt must try all possible combinations versus selecting the exact hash (SHA-512, SHA-256, Whirlpool, RIPEMD-160).

For future reference, on the password screen when you enter your password and click mount, you a Mount Options button on the right hand side. Click the Mount Options button and check the box for "Use backup header embedded in volume if possible".
Sep 14, 2015 at 10:58 PM
Do you have any errors in the Windows Event Viewer when mounting the drive?
No idea what that is

It seems like your hard drive is failing.
Not even 5 months old
Are you using cascades?
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Cascades

Is researching all this gonna help me?__
When you are on the password screen there is drop-down list called PKC5-PRF (this is the hash). If you are using Autodetection, VeraCrypt must try all possible combinations versus selecting the exact hash (SHA-512, SHA-256, Whirlpool, RIPEMD-160).

I did update my post before you responded and I am using autodetection
For future reference, on the password screen when you enter your password and click mount, you a Mount Options button on the right hand side. Click the Mount Options button and check the box for "Use backup header embedded in volume if possible".

I'll give it a shot! Never had to before so not sure what the difference is
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM
After about an hour total I have gotten this far loading the drive after it took 30 min to mount:

It just wont load any further.

I have done nothing to my computer or drive
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:11 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2015 at 11:14 PM
You said that the volume is mounted. Can you copy the data off the drive to prevent loss of fives years of important data?
EDIT: Never mind the question. You posted while I was writing my response.

You can locate the Window Event Viewer at:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Expand the Windows Logs and look at both Application and System. You are going to be looking for items in yellow or red during that half-hour it took your volume to mount.
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:14 PM
You said that the volume is mounted. Can you copy the data off the drive to prevent loss of fives years of important data?
Unable to load as shown in image above

You can locate the Window Event Viewer at:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Expand the Windows Logs and look at both Application and System. You are going to be looking for items in yellow or red during that half-hour it took your volume to mount.

While using True Crypt Windows Explorer takes an hour to load anything so this does not look like an option
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:21 PM
WE HAVE A WINNAR

SOLUTION FOUND

Just did it and it loaded immediate. You saved my day I am sorry if my frustration came off as rude in my responses.

Not sure what that feature does or why I had to do it, but it loaded in a second after another attempt. I am now backing up my files
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:21 PM
When was the last time you successfully mounted this volume on this computer your are currently using?

There may be a software incompatibility causing the issue.
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:28 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2015 at 11:29 PM
Hello Dave,

Apology accepted.

What the "Use backup header embedded in volume if possible" option means is to use the embedded backup header key located at the end of the volume instead of the primary header key which is located at the front of the volume.

What is confusing me is usually when the primary header key is damaged, you will fail to mount the volume in VeraCrypt to a drive letter.

I know you said the drive is only 5 months old. However, any electric device can suddenly fail. I am concerned that this hard drive is going to fail soon since it appears to be having problems reading the front of the drive. I hope that makes sense.

Kind Regards.
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:29 PM
I last mounted it immediately on 8/11/2015 as I used this to restore files on my computer after I reformatted it.

I used the same version of VeraCrypt to put the files on my computer then, then a month later I had this issue
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:31 PM
So your saying I should return the harddrive as it's still under warranty?
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:36 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2015 at 11:39 PM
Can you now access the Window Event Viewer to look for yellow or red icons?

Are there are errors attempting to access the hard drive or VeraCrypt errors?
Sep 15, 2015 at 12:17 AM
I will try after my harddrive backup my files on my computer, I dont wanna risk freezing anything up