BSOD on Windows 7-64 boot since upgrade to 1.13

Topics: Technical Issues
Sep 10, 2015 at 9:50 PM
Ever since I upgraded to the new bootloader, I get a persistent BSOD every startup as so:

1) Start computer, type in pass+pin, Windows begins to load. BSOD happens with no description of the driver or error.
2) Reboot computer, type in pass+pin, Windows begins to load. Now it asks for "Startup recovery blah blah" and "Start Windows Normally". I pick "Normal" and Windows loads fine.

This happens EVERY time I load my computer. Both my drives are new and in great condition (RAID1). I ran other hardware tests as well and everything is still fine with my computer. I can't say for sure it is VC 1.13 but I see in the patch notes you mention "* Driver: Support returning StorageDeviceProperty when queried through IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY." and I am wondering if you can check out that portion of code again and see if you might have introduced a mistake.

I also feel this problem may have to do with the Intel RST Matrix RAID controller since there was 2 times where it BSOD'd, next bootup the RAID BIOS didn't mention the improper shutodown, so it BSOD'd again, and then it showed the problem, the third boot was fine. Basically, my computer will always BSOD on Windows booting unless the RAID BIOS says the disk array is in a yellow "check" mode.
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2015 at 11:44 PM
There were previous reports of BSOD happening on systems with Intel Rapid Storage (https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/133) so maybe you are encountering a similar issue.

I have done a modification in the latest 1.14-BETA to disable support for IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY by default and enable it only when the user explicitly selects it (through menu System -> Performance and checking the checkbox at the bottom).

Can you please install the 1.14-BETA and see if you still have the BSOD? The installer is here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%20Nightly%20Builds/

Personally, I don't think the BSOD you are encountering is linked to IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY support but rather to some kind of race condition between Interl driver and VeraCrypt one.
Sep 16, 2015 at 12:25 AM
Hello Mounir,

Can you explain the advantage of "Enable extended disk control codes support" in the documentation and possible use cases that one would enable/disable this option?

Thank you for your hard work! :-)
Coordinator
Sep 16, 2015 at 4:47 PM
Hi Enigma2Illusion,

I wrote a brief paragraph about it in the documentation: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Program%20Menu#Settings-Performance
Sep 16, 2015 at 5:09 PM
idrassi wrote:
Personally, I don't think the BSOD you are encountering is linked to IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY support but rather to some kind of race condition between Interl driver and VeraCrypt one.
Thanks, I will give it a shot.
Sep 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM
It turns out the problem was my Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard and not VC. Not sure why it stopped working but I think it's over 5+ years old atm.
Sep 29, 2015 at 8:31 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2015 at 8:31 PM
idrassi, you wrote:
Disable this option if you experience stability issues ...
Does this mean you recommend enabling this option by default?

I don't remember it from TC or earlier releases of VC. What was the default setting then?