This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

why not cascading hashing?

Topics: Feature Requests, Users Discussion
Aug 20, 2015 at 6:10 PM
Hi everybody,
as VC is performing huge amount of iterations anyway, then why not mix all available hash algorithms and hash in sequence? For example if there are 600000 iterations to be performed, why not hash 200000 times with SHA256, 200000 times with SHA512, 200000 times with Whirpool. This can be done either in sequence or by mixing them one by one (let the cryptographers decide which is better). Speed is not a factor, because even if this mixing slows down the mounting process, then the number of iterations can be reduced, there is certainly room for that LOL..... Also, it will make the selection of required hash algorithm at the creation of the container/partition completely useless, which will make the program more use friendly. But of course, the most obvious advantage will be the security model - even if one of the hash functions prove to be problematic in future, there will be nothing to worry about. Also, if idrassi adds new hash functions in future, they can be added to the sequence (and decreasing each hash iteration count) so the final output will be waterproof, least to say.
Aug 23, 2015 at 8:09 PM
I find an awesome idea I think the cascade hash veracrypt avoiding potential future attacks

to drastically increase the security level veracrypt difficult to break up convertise almost impossible

my congratulations to idrassi for their hard work and dedication to the development of veracrypt thank you very much and also ask you to consider the option of supporting this great day in the near future