This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Creating a vol ser name for an encrypted volume

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 15, 2015 at 1:36 AM
I am using a windows based backup program that runs as a scheduled job. It writes archives to a USB drive that is then taken offsite. I would like to encrypt the data on the backup drive. The backup program looks for a drive whose vol ser name is "SBACKUPS" and then writes the backups to the associated drive letter. This ensures that no matter what drive letter is assigned to the usb drive when it is plugged in, the backup will go to the correct drive. I have installed VeraCrypt and note that when I make the entire drive an encrypted volume the drive must be accessed as the mounted drive letter. How can I setup VeraCrypt so the backup program will use the correct drive letter when it looks for the vol ser name of "SBACKUPS"?
Aug 15, 2015 at 2:42 PM
Are you taking about the renaming the drive label you see in Windows Explorer like "Local Disk (X:)" where X is the drive letter you mounted?

You can Google search "windows change drive label cmd" and write a script to be called before the backup to rename the drive label using a static drive letter mount.
Aug 15, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Yes, I am talking about the drive label you see in Windows Explorer like "Local Disk (X:)". The USB backup drive must be formatted with the label “SBACKUPS”. The backup program has a service that looks for this label. When the USB drive is connected to the USB port the backup service automatically detects the drive and takes the backup to the drive letter allocated to the drive by Windows Explorer. The problem is the backup is written to the raw, unformatted drive instead of the mounted drive

Regards

John Agar

Managing Director

Fedile Projects

Tel: 011-783-3195

Cell: 082-320-8727

International: +27117833195

E-mail: [email removed]

"An optimist sees an opportunity in every calamity; a pessimist sees a calamity in every opportunity." -Winston Churchill

"Debugging computer code is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as you possibly can, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." – Brian W. Kernighan