Mounted drive is removed when computer goes to sleep on Windows 10

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Aug 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM
Edited Aug 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM
Hi,

I noticed that every time windows goes to sleep (hibernate is disabled) my mounted drive is dismounted.
This is re-producible every time. i have this settings is VC which should not dismount on power saving mode:

Also i have tried to disable this in windows settings without any change
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/what-does-usb-selective-suspend-mean/71fa747b-914f-4d17-b476-cf4bb1bb783c

So is this a bug under windows 10? or did i miss a settings somewhere?
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2015 at 11:35 PM
I can't reproduce your issue with USB key drive: I have Windows 10 Pro freshly installed on a laptop (ASUS G50V) and when mounting a USB key drive with VeraCrypt, the drive remain mounted after returning from sleep. The only thing I changed is disabling hibernate like you and this machine doesn't use system encryption.

In all cases, VeraCrypt never dismount a drive by itself unless there is an activated option for it on the preferences (which is not your case) or the drive is disconnected from the system.

Can you please check the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any events traces before Sleep and after returning from Sleep and related to your drive and any storage?
One probably cause is that your drive doesn't support low-power mode state as used in Sleep and it simply shuts down when it receives such request.
Can you please share the type/name of the USB drive you are using?
Aug 11, 2015 at 9:23 AM
Thank you for the reply idrassi.
Sadly i cleared the even viewer since i had so much info there and wanted to be able to catch what you ask for but then i could not re-produce it. I will let you know if it happens again.
My external HD's are all WD Passport 1T and 2TB.
Let me know if i can help in any other way otherwise i report back once it happens again.
Cheers.