This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Error: incorrect password/PRF or not a valid volume

Topics: Technical Issues
Jul 30, 2015 at 9:25 PM
Hello,

I am having difficulty accessing my VeraCrypt file. I have been unable to access these files since Monday evening. I am getting the error: incorrect password/PRF or not a valid volume. I know that the password I am entering is correct. I have tried in on multiple different days and have asked others to enter the password as well.

My computer may have downloaded an update on Monday evening. I am unsure.

I have already downloaded the latest update of VeraCrypt with no success.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2015 at 9:56 PM
Hi,

The first thing to do in such situation is try to open the volume using the embedded backup header: in the password dialog, click "Mount option" and then check the option "Use backup header embedded in volume is available" as show in the screenshot below.

This works when something corrupted the beginning part of the volume since the backup is stored at the end of the volume.

If this doesn't work, then either:
  • The whole volume has been corrupted in some way.
  • Windows automount has been disabled. In order to try to solve this, just enable AutoMount under Windows : start a command prompt as an Administrator ("Run as an Administrator"). In this command prompt, type : diskpart. Then after diskpart has started, type : AUTOMOUNT ENABLE
    Restart Windows and try again.
In all cases, if you still have a failure, please check Windows Event Viewer for any error/warning events at the time you try to mount the volume.
Jul 31, 2015 at 6:14 PM
Hello,

I have tried all of the above and am still receiving the same error message. Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you.

Nicole M. Meyer, Pharm.D.
Goodrich Pharmacy Resident
601 Jacob Lane
Anoka, MN 55303
(763) 421-5540

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:10 AM
With some extra help from another set of eyes, I was able to get into my files. Thank you for your assistance!

Nicole M. Meyer, Pharm.D.
Goodrich Pharmacy Resident
601 Jacob Lane
Anoka, MN 55303
(763) 421-5540