This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

veracrypt-1.0f-2 Fails to Start GUI on Ubuntu-14.10

Topics: Technical Issues
Jun 27, 2015 at 4:59 PM
I have two different computers running Kubuntu-14.10 to version veracrypt-1.0f-2. Both have the same problem of not being able to start the Veracrypt GUI window. The GUI seems to start, but dies before it creates the window. I can find any error messages or log file entries that provide any information on the cause of the failure.

I am able to run veracrypt in a terminal window and start it there, but not being able to see the contents of a long password is very error prone.

If you have any suggestions on what I can do to provide extra information to resolve this problem, please let me know. .
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2015 at 11:00 PM
There have been some modification done to make VeraCrypt run better on Kubuntu since 1.0f-2.
Can you please install the latest 1.12-BETA and see if it works better for you? It is available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%20Nightly%20Builds/

For your information, VeraCrypt 1.12-BETA runs perfectly on my Kubuntu 14.10 test machine:

VeraCryptGuiKubuntu14.10
Jun 28, 2015 at 4:51 PM
I installed the beta version, but the result is the same. Veracrypt seems to start up and then just dies. I am still able to start it from the terminal, though.

Is there some way of emitting error messages so that I can provide you with some feedback. Your test version may be working, but I have have a lot of extra libraries and other executables, not to mention configuration settings that may be interfering with the start up. Having some indication on what is causing the conflict would help.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2015 at 10:42 PM
There no internal logs in VeraCrypt and I don't know if it possible to activate GTK logs to see where the failure is occurring (because GTK is definitely the one that fails to initialize).

Since the official VeraCrypt binary is linked with a static wxWidgets, one possible solution would be to use the native wxWidgets provided by Kubuntu. There is a PPA that provide Ubuntu packages of VeraCrypt built specifically for Ubuntu (https://launchpad.net/~unit193/+archive/ubuntu/encryption). Can you please test with it and see if it works better?

PS: there reports on the internet of other GTK applications failing to start on Kubuntu because of the use of some special themes...I don't know if you are in this case.