This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Help needed - password not working

Topics: Users Discussion
Jun 17, 2015 at 6:55 PM
Ok, first off, I screwed up... I can't remember my password, or I thought I did but it's not working...

I have a mounted file of 200gb with pretty much all my stuff on it and it's working fine... and it's been running fine for almost a year, BUT I want to upgrade to Win10 and I am afraid if anything goes wrong, it gets unmounted or what have you I'll not be able to remount it because the password I thought I used isn't working... I still have access to everything in the mounted file but I am not sure how to best proceed... any help or suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Jun 17, 2015 at 7:38 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Can you clarify how you know the password is incorrect while the volume is still mounted?

The likely solution is to create another 200 GB volume, mount it and copy your data from the forgotten password volume to the new volume.

The other solution depends if you know enough of the password and the developer of OTFBrutusGUI has modified the program to mount VeraCrypt volumes. See thread below.

http://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/technical/thread/5d5015e7
Jun 18, 2015 at 12:08 AM
Edited Jun 18, 2015 at 12:14 AM
Thanks for the response! Well, as I was unsure, I figured that if I simply tried to change the password it would let me know if it was correct or not and if it was correct, it would simply change the password. Since it tells me it isn't, I figured I truly forgot it.

I was going to do just as you suggested, create a new volume, mount it, copy over the files, unmount and delete the old one, but that would leave a new path to the files and I wasn't sure if the system would get totally screwed up because a ton of stuff points to the files in this volume (D) - and that's why I figured I would check here first before I screwed myself royally.

I guess if I can copy it to a new volume/drive, can I then make the drive D again so everything can fine the files?
Jun 18, 2015 at 3:24 AM
Currently you have pointers to files on the D drive. I guessing you created the D drive and moved your user profile to the D drive. Correct?

Are you using system encryption?