This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Mount Multiple Drives At Once

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues
Apr 28, 2015 at 5:36 PM
TrueCrypt and the last version of VeraCrypt used to mount multiple favorites all at once (only using the password once for those favorites). This was really helpful when mounting four drives that use the same password.

I don't now if this feature was removed, or maybe some setting changed somewhere, but it was really nice mounting multiple drives at once. All of my VeraCrypt passphrases use the maximum characters, so you can imagine the PIA it is to have to type these over and over to mount drives.

Also, I don't know if this has been fixed, but there was some glitch where if your password went over the maximum amount of characters, you could not move to the next setup step. TrueCrpyt used to ignore extra characters. The reason why this is handy is because if you have a passphrase like "I Really Love to Eat Spaghetti" and you are over by two or three letters you don't have to remember the last word is "Spaghet" or was it "Spaghett"? It is easier to remember a whole word and more natural to type also.

I love VeraCrypt.

Thanks
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Per the release notes:
Add option to temporary cache password when mounting multiple favorites.
You need to go into preferences and set this option if you want VeraCrypt to temporarily cache the password when mounting multiple favorites.

This change was to avoid delays being prompted for the password for the next volume when you have different passwords for some/all of the volumes in favorites since VeraCrypt would have to try all four hash algorithms before prompting for a password.
Apr 28, 2015 at 11:59 PM
Oh, good news. I wish I had time to read all the settings and release notes, but it is honestly much faster to sign up an account here and post a question.

What about the password limitation? Like I said, in TrueCrypt you could keep typing a passphrase forever, as long as the first 24 characters match the second 24 characters, you can proceed with setup. Can you put it back like that? The reason I am so adamant about this is because I like to use the longest passphrases I can that is close to the limit and I would rather go over than under. It is somewhat difficult to come up with passphrases (AKA memorable sentences) that hit the exact amount. It is much easier to go over by a few characters, than try to rethink the passphrase to shorten it. And, I honestly do not care about typing a few extra keystrokes if it makes remembering the passphrase easier!

Thank you for taking this project on!

Keep up the great work!

M
Apr 29, 2015 at 12:28 AM
Edited Apr 29, 2015 at 3:41 AM
The password limit is 64 characters.

You can read the request to increase the password limit at the link below.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/71

PS: All the credit goes to Mounir who is currently the only developer of VeraCrypt.