This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

1.of-2 - Favorites requires multiple passwords

Topics: Technical Issues
Apr 12, 2015 at 4:03 PM
I upgraded to 1.of-2 and now it requires multiple passwords for favorites. I have two favorite volumes with the same password. Before when I mounted favorites I was prompted for the password one time and both volumes mounted. With 1.of-2 it now mounts the first volume and then I get a second password prompt. The end result is it takes much longer to mount the two volumes and it is more cumbersome. I removed all favorites and then recreated them but that didn't resolve it.

I was able to find a copy of 1.of-1 and re-install it and it again worked as expected. I'm OK for now but would like to move to the newer version when this gets fixed.
Apr 12, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2015 at 5:51 PM
Hello Steven,

Version 1.0f-2 removed the auto temporary caching of the password due to delays mounting volumes caused when you have two or more volumes with different passwords in the favorites having to exhaust the four password hashing algorithms before prompting for the next volume's password.

In the latest version, you can enable in the preferences the option "Temporary Cache password during Mount Favorite Volumes operations" to enable the auto temporary caching of the password for volumes in favorites.

Regards.
Apr 12, 2015 at 6:37 PM
I still have the problem. It works when mounting favorites from within the VC UI but not from the command line. I have a script that launches two volumes and when complete launches a program. With 1.of-2 when using the script it re-prompts for the password after mounting the first volume.

It works as expected from the VeraCrypt interface.
Apr 12, 2015 at 7:00 PM
I was able to fix it in my script by adding /cache y and in another script the /wipecache tags.

Adding these script tags in addition to the settings Enigma2Illusion suggested seem to have things back to normal.
Apr 12, 2015 at 7:00 PM
You will need to include the /c for caching the password for the first volume in your script. Then run the /w to wipe the password after the last mount volume command in your script.

There is not an auto temporary cache password switch for the command line.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Command%20Line%20Usage
Coordinator
Jun 7, 2015 at 11:06 PM
Hi Steven,

I have added an option to the command line that is equivalent to the GUI preferences option "temporary caching of the password for volumes in favorites.": just use /c f or /cache favorites.
I also updated the documentation of the command line usage to include this. basically, /c y enables cache, /c n disables cache and /c f disable also cache but it activates a temporary cache to be used when mounting multiple favorite volumes.

I have included this in the 1.12-BETA version available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%20Nightly%20Builds/
Jun 14, 2015 at 4:33 AM
I asked a similar question about caching the hash algorithm a couple of months ago.

The vast, vast majority of home users are going to use the same password and hash algorithm on all their encrypted drives and partitions. If you don't want to assume this, why not at least have a switch that lets the user SPECIFY that he wants the same password and hash tried first for all volumes, no matter when they are mounted? If a mount fails with that switch on, then you can pop up a message box giving him the option of re-entering the password (if he mistyped it), or going through the cycle of hash algorithms (if the volume really does have a different hash algorithm).

Yes, the latter case would take longer, but if it's unacceptably long, then all the user has to do is change the password or hash so it matches the other volumes. That is a one-time deal, and that is much better than having to cycle through the hashes every single time.

Of course, if the user really wants to have different passwords, then he can simply leave the box unchecked, and use the program as it is now.

As always, I hope that constructive criticism doesn't make you think we don't appreciate the very great service you are providing.