This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

error msg trying to open True Crypt file

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 16, 2015 at 9:55 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM
Hi,
I'm getting an error message when I try to use VeraCrypt to open a TrueCrypt file. I check the "TrueCrypt Mode" checkbox and get this message

"Incorrect password or not a VeraCrypt volume."

I'm typing the password correctly. VeraCrypt v1.0f-1.

Windows 8.1 Pro. fully updated

The file was created with version 7.1a of TrueCrypt and opens fine with TrueCrypt.
Thanks,
K
Mar 16, 2015 at 10:44 PM
Hello Kayc,

Please provide answers to the following questions to help the forum members and/or developer assist you on this issue.

Was the file container created on the same PC using TrueCrypt which you are now trying to mount in VeraCrypt?

What encryption cipher and hash was used on the file container?

What format did you chose for the file container (FAT or NTFS)?

Does the file container have a hidden volume?

Thank you!
Mar 17, 2015 at 2:48 PM
OK...here goes...

The file container was created using TrueCrypt but on a much older computer and probably an older version of TC than 7.1a. The file date modified is 9/14/2007.

Encryption algo = AES
Primary key size = 256 bits
Tweak key size (LRW Mode) = 128 bits
Block size = 128 bits
Mode of Operation = LRW
PKCS-5 PRF = HMAC-RIPEMD-160
Volume Format Version = 1

NTFS file format

No hidden volume.

Not sure if I've answered the hash question.
K
Mar 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2015 at 5:52 PM
Hello Kayc,

Thank you for the detailed answers.

Based on the file date modified is 9/2007 means the file was likely created using TrueCrypt 4.3a version if you kept your TrueCrypt software up-to-date with each new release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt_release_history

VeraCrypt can open TrueCrypt version 6.x and higher. Hence the reason you are receiving the error.

Mounir has updated the error message in the current beta version which you can install. See the thread below.

http://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/technical/thread/6dc42d08

PS: PKCS-5 PRF = hash which is HMAC-RIPEMD-160

Thank you.
Mar 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM
Tx. guess I need to create new volumnes and move my data to them..
Mar 17, 2015 at 6:23 PM
Hi,

I confirm that your container was created with a unsupported version of TrueCrypt.

Moreover, from the details you posted, the container used the old algorithm LRW instead of XTS.
VeraCrypt doesn't support LRW and so it can't detect the version of TrueCrypt used to create the volume. Thus the error message can't be more detailed even in the Beta version.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:01 AM
I'm pretty sure I have some older TrueCrypt volumes, too. Is there any way to upgrade the TrueCrypt version before converting to VeraCrypt, or do I have to copy all the data to a VeraCrypt volume?
Mar 24, 2015 at 8:13 AM
Even if you upgrade TrueCrypt to version 7.1a (latest), this will not upgrade your existing volumes since they use an obsolete encryption mechanism (LRW) and this can't be replaced without re-encrypting the whole volume (which is not possible). Thus, the only solution is to create a new volume and copy all data manually to it.