Speed of creating a VeraCrypt volume

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 24, 2015 at 1:54 PM
Currently my computer (CPU: Intel i7-4770) is busy creating a VeraCrypt volume. I decided to encrypt the whole partition of an external hard disc drive (500 GB, USB 3; Encryption: AES, Hash: SHA-512). Is it normal that this process takes two days?
Feb 24, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Well, I encrypted an external 1TB USB3, with AES and Whirlpool, running a 2500k at 4,8GHz - That took around 8 hours. So I will say 2 days is long time. Are you sure that the disk is connected to an USB 3.0 and not a 2.0?
Feb 24, 2015 at 4:08 PM
destrukt wrote:
Are you sure that the disk is connected to an USB 3.0 and not a 2.0?
I think so - at least Windows did not say "This device can perform faster" when I plugged in the disk. Unfortunately the creation process is still running so I cannot look if I chose the fast (blue) port.
Feb 24, 2015 at 4:26 PM
Is it an "in place" partition, with data on the drive. If so, what "Wipe mode" did you choose?
Feb 25, 2015 at 9:10 AM
destrukt wrote:
Is it an "in place" partition, with data on the drive. If so, what "Wipe mode" did you choose?
There were data on the drive, but I copied all the data to another drive before I started creating a VeraCrypt volume. I think I did not choose the mode that performs an inplace encryption (the program stated that an in place encryption would take much longer so I decided to take the "copy all the data" way).

Today the situation is: VeraCrypt seems to have finished the creation of the VeraCrypt volume. I wrote "seems" as it looks like the computer performed a restart during the night so I am not sure whether VeraCrypt completed the job correctly :-( Any way, I can mount the volume and copy data to it. However, the Windows system log shows many controller errors regarding this drive (event id 11), maybe this is the reason why it took so long to create the volume. Oh, and yes, the drive was connected to USB 3.0.
Feb 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM
Update: I found an firmware update for the external HDD case which is said to "Improve USB 3.0 compatibility". Now I updated the firmware - no more controller errors in the system log, noticeable higher speed when copying files to the encrypted drive. It seems like great events often come from little causes.
Feb 25, 2015 at 12:35 PM
I wrote "seems" as it looks like the computer performed a restart during the night so I am not sure whether VeraCrypt completed the job correctly
Do you have your Windows Update configured to automatically apply updates? Microsoft released a one-off patch on 2.24.2015 that required a reboot.
Feb 25, 2015 at 1:41 PM
Yes, I saw in the event log that the patch you mentioned was installed last night (03:00 a.m.) and that my computer performed a reboot because of that.

Now I am unsure whether the VeraCrypt volume I created is fully functional. Based on the estimated time left that VeraCrypt showed last evening I would have expected that the creation process would have run until 7 or 8 a.m.
Feb 25, 2015 at 3:34 PM
If it were me, I would start over since the firmware resolved controller errors and any possible corruption due to rebooting during the encryption process. It may take less time now that the controller errors have been resolved.
Feb 25, 2015 at 4:48 PM
I thought the same, and so I deleted the partition and created a new one. After that, I started the creation of a VeraCrypt volume and this time it shows that it will take less than two hours! Much better than having to wait two days again.