This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Eliminate the "Please wait..." Dialog (or fix it so it's not always on top)

Topics: Feature Requests
Feb 22, 2015 at 9:36 PM
The wait dialog:
is probably the most annoying part of Veracrypt. This sits on top of all other windows on the screen and makes using any other program while waiting difficult. I understand that the encryption processes need to take a long time for good security and unaware users might freak-out when the program becomes unresponsive, but a way to disable this dialog in the settings and just run the key derivation in the background would be welcomed.

Alternatively, a slight change to remove the "Always on top" behavior so other applications can be used while waiting would be appreciated. (Remove the DS_SYSMODAL and WS_EX_TOPMOST flags from the dialog style flags.)

Diff of what i mean:
diff --git a/src/Common/Common.rc b/src/Common/Common.rc
index 7aa1d9f..64827c9 100644
--- a/src/Common/Common.rc
+++ b/src/Common/Common.rc
@@ -310,8 +310,7 @@ BEGIN
 END

IDD_STATIC_MODAL_WAIT_DLG DIALOGEX 0, 0, 292, 74
-STYLE DS_SYSMODAL | DS_SETFONT | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_SETFOREGROUND | DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_CENTER | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION
-EXSTYLE WS_EX_TOPMOST
+STYLE DS_SETFONT | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_SETFOREGROUND | DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_CENTER | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION
 CAPTION "VeraCrypt"
 FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg", 0, 0, 0x0
 BEGIN
Thanks
Feb 22, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM
I like your alternative idea for removing the "Always on top" behavior since the dialog box provides a visual clue that the process is working and when it disappears you know it has completed.

I have created a ticket requesting this feature and referencing this thread.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/95

Thank you for this suggestion and the code changes needed to remove the always on top. You can click on the link above and vote-up this request and any other requests in the issues section that are important to you.
Coordinator
Feb 23, 2015 at 11:47 PM
Hi,

The suggested modification has been done and committed to Git: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/8b6bdae799653ccff28daf197422eca5e773b83b

Thank you for your contribution.