This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Questions about Veracrypt

Topics: Users Discussion
Feb 19, 2015 at 8:52 AM
I have a few questions about Veracrypt. I'm about to purchase a new Windows 8.1 laptop.
  1. Is the process completely reversable where I can permanently decrypt the drive and remove Veracrypt from my machine?
  2. Does a full hard drive encryption slow down your computer noticably?
  3. I use Dropbox to automatically backup and sync files to the cloud. Will Dropbox still function properly on a Windows 8 laptop with the entire drive encrypted with Veracrypt?
  4. With regard to using Veracrypt on an external USB flash drive: I've read that is essential that you dismount a connected USB flash drive encrypted with Veracrypt
    (or Truecrypt), before physically disconnecting it from the USB port. My concern is that I may not always remember to do this. Will files get corrupted or destroyed?
  5. I'd like to know what other situations can cause corruptions to files on a laptop, with a hard drive completely encrypted with Veracrypt. Thanks
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:38 PM
  1. Yes. Be aware that VeraCrypt does not support UEFI and GPT for system encryption which is usually enabled by default for Windows 8.x versions. You can Google search how to covert from UEFI and GPT to MBR.
  2. No.
  3. If you are using encrypted system partition or other mounted encrypted non-system partitions will work with Dropbox. For file containers, you will need to enable timestamp modification by changing the preferences. Go to Settings > Preferences, and look for "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" and uncheck the box. By unchecking this option, you are telling VeraCrypt to allow the timestamp of the file container to be updated.
  4. Yes it it possible.
  5. The same issues that can occur for non-encrypted drives like BSOD, loss of power (battery dies for laptop), etc.
Feb 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM
Thank you Enigma.
Just wondering if I just create a mounted encrypted non-system partition (instead of encrypting the entire hard drive),
will I be able to use Veracrypt in Windows 8 without converting from from UEFI and GPT to MBR.
Thank you
Feb 20, 2015 at 1:47 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2015 at 1:48 PM
It depends if the Bytes Per Sector is 512 for the volume.

For Windows, you can get the current NTFS Bytes Per sizes using the following command:

Run as Administrator at the Command Prompt:
fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <Drive Letter>:

Example:

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo F:
Snipped output to focus on:

Bytes Per Sector : 512

See my posting for the steps I took for a 4 TB WD external drive at this posting.