This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

rescue disc option for set-ups with no disc drive?

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM
On an ultrabook with no disc drive, is creating some kind of rescue option a possibility?
Feb 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM
Yes it is, just launch veracryptformat.exe with /noisocheck - And before encrypting your machine, copy the .iso to a USB drive, and burn it out on another machine. When done, continue encrypting your machine.
Feb 8, 2015 at 8:46 PM
Thanks,

So just to be clear, during in the installation wizard after running "VeraCrypt Setup 1.0f-1.exe", I should choose "extract" instead of install?
Then from a command prompt run "veracryptformat.exe /noisocheck"
Now, is the purpose of this command to create a rescue disc image and block veracrypt from forcing me to burn a rescue disc?

Then do I run "veraCrypt.exe" or can I go back and run "VeraCrypt Setup 1.0f-1.exe" and choose install instead of extract?

I'm attempting to encrypt a system partition at the moment.
Feb 8, 2015 at 9:31 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2015 at 9:52 PM
Okay, first of all, if you "extract" the installer, it will make it "portable" and that is not what you want. Just install it.

Regarding the command prompt run command, that is correct. But yes it will still make the .iso, but it will not check if the disc is burned on a media. (Remember to copy the .iso file on a USB stick and make the media on another machine).

If you have choosen "extract" the first time you ran the installer, then run the installer again and choose "install".