This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Backup and Restore doesn't recognize my encrypted drive

Topics: Technical Issues
Jan 16, 2015 at 6:21 PM
I used VeraCrypt to encrypt an external hard drive. The drive appears in the file explorer as the D: drive. Now I'd like to backup my data to that drive. When I try to setup Backup and Restore however, the D: drive does not appear on the list of backup destinations. Why?

I'm using Windows 7.

-TC
Jan 17, 2015 at 11:31 PM
I know you are using Windows 7, however the following from the FAQ may be applicable to your situation.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ
How can I perform a Windows Server 2008 backup on a VeraCrypt volume? The VeraCrypt volume doesn't show up in the list of available backup paths.

Windows server backup looks only for physical driver, that's why it doesn't display the VeraCrypt volume. Nevertheless, you can still backup on a VeraCrypt volume by using a trick: activate sharing on the VeraCrypt volume through Explorer interface (of course, you have to put the correct permission to avoid unauthorized access) and then choose the option "Remote shared folder" (it is not remote ofcourse [sic] but Windows needs a network path). Their [sic] you can type the path of the shared drive (for example \ServerName\sharename) and the backup will be configured correctly.
Mounir wrote and included screenshots from the above.

https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/technical/thread/f7278dcd/
Jan 20, 2015 at 12:35 AM
Thank you for the information. I have configured my drive as suggested, and it seems to be working.
-TC
Jan 21, 2015 at 4:44 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2015 at 4:45 PM
Well, no, it is not working after all. I've configured my encrypted drive as a shared network drive. Its network location is \\Cascade\D. I've given my user account full control on the shared drive. I have confirmed that I can browse to \\Cascade\D in Windows Explorer and create & delete files. Nevertheless, when I specify \\Cascade\D as the backup location and enter my user credentials, I get the message "The specified network location cannot be used" with further details "Access is denied. (0x80070005)". I know this is a long-shot, but if anyone is familiar with this problem and knows how to fix it, I'd be grateful for advice.

I chose Windows Backup and Restore because I assumed it would be the simplest way to do a backup. Maybe that assumption is my real problem. Can anyone recommend an alternative way to do a simple, fire-and-forget, regularly scheduled backup?

-TC
Jan 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM
Hello TC,

When you encrypted the external drive, did you select the NTFS format or leave it as the default FAT format?

I want to make sure the path has your system name and not a subdirectory.

The share you provided means your PC's System Name is Cascade. Is that correct?

Click on the Windows globe in lower left corner, type "system information" without quotes and hit enter key in the search box to see the PC's System Name.
Jan 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM
When you encrypted the external drive, did you select the NTFS format or leave it as the default FAT format?
I don't remember changing any default settings, but when I look at the properties of the D: drive, its file system is reported as NTFS.
The share you provided means your PC's System Name is Cascade. Is that correct?
Click on the Windows globe in lower left corner, type "system information" without quotes and hit enter key in the search box to see the PC's System Name.
Yes; my PC's computer name is "Cascade". ("system information" doesn't work the way you describe on my computer, but I can confirm the computer name in the System section of the Control Panel.

There is a clue I haven't shared with you yet: When I give full control over the shared drive to "Everyone", I can get the backup to work. It is only when I restrict access that Backup and Restore fails. I've configured my user account with full access to the D: drive. I believe I did that correctly because I can browse to \\Cascade\D in Windows Explorer, then create & delete files. I've also configured Backup and Restore to use my user account for authentication. I have no evidence that this part is working because when I use the correct user name and password, I get the same "Access is Denied" error I would get if I use the wrong user name and/or password. My user name is "TC" and I've tried entering "TC", "Cascade\TC" and "\\Cascade\TC".

-TC
Jan 23, 2015 at 12:23 AM
What errors are in the event logs when the backup fails?
Jan 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
What errors are in the event logs when the backup fails?
When I try to configure the backup, I enter my credentials and get the message "The specified network location cannot be used". When I use the event viewer to find log messages associated with this, all I can find are three entries in the Security log. They say:

Audit Success: An account was successfully logged on.
Audit Success: Special privileges assigned to new logon.
Audit Success: An account was logged off.

These events all seem to be concerned with the account "SYSTEM", not the account "TC". Note that I cannot find error messages in any log. The Administrative Events log, the Application log, and the Microsoft Windows Backup Operational log are all silent. None of this means anything to me; I am not accustomed to interpreting event logs.

-TC
Jan 23, 2015 at 9:47 PM
Edited Jan 23, 2015 at 9:48 PM
Do you have a log file in the C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup directory with the "etl" file type extension for the time you attempt the backup as TC user?

To open the etl file, open Event Viewer, right-click Saved Logs, click Open Saved Log, and then navigate to the *.etl file.
Jan 26, 2015 at 6:20 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Do you have a log file in the C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup directory with the "etl" file type extension for the time you attempt the backup as TC user?
Well, I never get to attempt a backup because I can't get past the first page of the "Set up backup" wizard. The error I get on that page doesn't seem to be generating log files in that folder. (I do, however, have some old ETL files in that folder from my experiments when I gave full control to "Everyone" and was able to do a successful backup. Would those contain useful information?)

-TC
Jan 26, 2015 at 8:53 PM
When you grant "Full Control" to the TC user Windows account, do you see Administrators and SYSTEM? Do these two accounts have Full Control settings? Is the TC user account an Administrator account on your machine? Control Panel > Users Accounts
Jan 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
When you grant "Full Control" to the TC user Windows account, do you see Administrators and SYSTEM? Do these two accounts have Full Control settings? Is the TC user account an Administrator account on your machine? Control Panel > Users Accounts
I saw neither Administrators nor SYSTEM. I added Cascade\Administrators with full control, and now everything works as it should. The TC user account is an Administrator account. I removed explicit permissions for TC because they aren't necessary now. I did not experiment with the SYSTEM account.

I don't understand why this configuration works while the previous one didn't. When I give explicit full control permissions to TC through the TC account, backup doesn't work; but when I give implicit full control permissions to TC through the Administrators group, backup does work. Go figure.

In any case, I'm glad that it works now. You've been a big help; I would not have figured it out without your advice. Thank you.

-TC
Jan 27, 2015 at 6:22 PM
Thank you TC for posting your results back to the forum so others can benefit from your issue.

Out of curiosity, which edition of Windows 7 are you using? (Home, Professional, Ultimate)

I see on the Microsoft forums that the Home edition cannot perform backups to network drives using Microsoft's Backup and Restore utility.

I chose Windows Backup and Restore because I assumed it would be the simplest way to do a backup. Maybe that assumption is my real problem. Can anyone recommend an alternative way to do a simple, fire-and-forget, regularly scheduled backup?
Have you looked at Macrium Reflect Professional?

Macrium Reflect can create it's backup file AES encrypted when you setup the password.

I don't understand why this configuration works while the previous one didn't. When I give explicit full control permissions to TC through the TC account, backup doesn't work; but when I give implicit full control permissions to TC through the Administrators group, backup does work. Go figure.
I assume your backup job is in the Task Scheduler using the account Cascade\TC or TC. I do not know if the access settings for a network drive is due to the Backup and Restore utility of Windows or the Windows OS. I agree, it does not make sense. :)
Jan 27, 2015 at 7:48 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Out of curiosity, which edition of Windows 7 are you using? (Home, Professional, Ultimate)
I am using Windows 7 Professional.
Have you looked at Macrium Reflect Professional?
Macrium Reflect can create it's backup file AES encrypted when you setup the password.
No, but I'll check it out. Thanks.
I assume your backup job is in the Task Scheduler using the account Cascade\TC or TC.
Yes. I checked Task Scheduler, and the backup task is associated with Cascade\TC.
I agree, it does not make sense. :)
I'm sure there is an explanation, but I'm content not knowing what it is. I can do encrypted backups now, so I've achieved my goal.

Thanks again for your help.

-TC
Feb 13, 2015 at 3:36 PM
T_C wrote:
I can do encrypted backups now
It turns out I cannot do encrypted backups after all. When I wrote that post, I was enthusiastic because I managed to do a single, manual, encrypted backup. Since then, however, I've tried to set up a system of regularly scheduled backups, and I've encountered two seemingly insurmountable obstacles:
  • First, the encrypted drive is un-shared every time it is re-mounted. If the drive isn't shared, Backup and Restore fails. This makes the whole system unworkable, and I don't see any way around it.
  • Second, Backup and Restore, shockingly, doesn't seem to wake the computer to perform backups. It works by registering tasks in the Task Scheduler, and those tasks can be re-configured to wake the computer. However, re-configuring those tasks seems to break Backup and Restore. Whenever I try to set up what seems like the logical configuration, Backup and Restore gets into a funny state where it simply will not work; when I click "Back up now", nothing happens -- no backup, no background process, no on-screen message, no log file message, nothing.
I might be wrong about some of these observations, but it seems clear that getting Backup and Restore to work with a VeraCrypt encrypted drive is a terrible uphill battle. It is too much for me. I'm going to give up and pursue other options instead.

-TC
Feb 13, 2015 at 8:36 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM
TC, I had some strange issues with getting windows to auto mount in XP I think it was, this might apply to Win7 also.
  1. Open notepad and enter the lines in BOLD with your own info.
  2. Save the file as mapdrive.bat and put it in your startup folder
Username being the name you use to log onto your computer, and the password.
ShareFolderName is the name of a folder you are trying to share.
I think you need to have a password in windows enabled for this to work

@echo off

Net use /delete Y:
Net use /delete Z:

Net use Y: \ComputerName\ShareFolderName /u:"Username" password
Net use Z: \ComputerName\ShareFolderName /u:"Username" password