Add cmdline (!) option for auto-dismount after certain period of inactivity

Topics: Feature Requests, Users Discussion
Jan 6, 2015 at 3:28 PM
I need an option to let VeraCrypt automatically dismount a previously mounted container
after a certain period (e.g. 20 minutes) of inactivity (no mouse moves and no keyboard presses).

In old TrueCrypt this is only possible through GUI but not when container was mapped through cmdline command.

I need this as cmdline option.

Could you add this in the next release of VeraCrypt?

Thank you
Peter
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2015 at 6:42 PM
Hi Peter,

For this work, the VeraCrypt process must remain running in order to monitor the disk activity and perform the auto-dismount after the specified inactivity period.
That's why it was implemented only for the GUI.

If we implement this in the cmdline, this would force the command line process to remain running for ever unless it is killed using CTRL+C. Is this something acceptable to you use case?
Jan 13, 2015 at 10:02 AM
Thank you for the answer.
I understand your idea.

However: Why not offer this option to the user? If he finds it acceptable then he can use it in cmdline (which runs in Systray or as background service).

Moreover a much smarted solutions could be to setup a scheduled task. See here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/schedule-task#1TC=windows-7

So if the user setup lets say a 30 minutes auto-close time period the Task should wake up every 30 minutes and check the current mouse position.
If it is the same as the previous then the auto-close should be triggered. Monitoring keyboard presses could be neglected in this solution.

So could you add this option?

Peter