This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Announced Security Mode

Topics: Feature Requests
Jan 3, 2015 at 11:26 AM
I read somewhere that there will be a security mode that allows to specify the number of iterations in order to speed up the boot process in case one wants to encrypt a system drive. I have not seen this feature in the new version 1.0f so far. Can you give me an update on this please?
Coordinator
Jan 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM
I dropped this feature and I explained this in various posts, for example here and here.

Of course, people ask of this in order to reduce the opening time which translate to reducing security. One argument in favor is to give people the choice. On argument against is that it will be a departure from the spirit of having a uniform security level for all volumes created through VeraCrypt.

Things may evolve in the future if there are new ideas on how to implement security configuration more wisely. Till then, this feature is on hold.
Jan 5, 2015 at 5:02 PM
Thanks for answering this question despite the existing posts.
I understand that you would like to keep a common security level.
However, the long time to boot makes VeraCrypt pretty much useless for the ordinary user who wants to encrypt the system drive.
I like it for external hard drives as I do not mount them several times per day but booting my laptop happens quite often and therefore I have to stay with TrueCrypt or choose a different solution for my system drive.
Hope that there will be a new idea how to make it more usable for such a common scenario.