This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Mounting Truecrypt as favorite volume

Topics: Feature Requests
Dec 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM
Mounting Trucrypt volumes as a favorite give an error.
This is because Veracrypt assumes all favorites are VeraCrypt volumes by default, understandably so. However this means we can never include a Truecrypt volume in favorites.

However there should be a way to identify truecrypt volumes when save as a favorite. For instance with a label like the following in "Favorite Volumes.xml":
<favorites>
    <volume mountpoint="E:\" label="truecrypt-container">C:\truecrypt-container</volume><TRUECRYPT_MODE>
</favorites>

... or that Veracrypt automatically check the volume as a TrueCypt volume if it fails opening it as a Veracrypt one.
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Can you please give more information about the error you encounter? Did you check the TrueCrypt Mode in the password dialog?

Since the TrueCrypt mode is present in the password dialog, it is not seen as a mount option that can be written to the XML file. It is up to the user to check or not the TrueCrypt mode when he enters his password.
Dec 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM
Edited Dec 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Humm, the error does not replicate now... My fault I guess... it did happen three times but must have been an error in my side only.
So I guess we should move my post to Feature Requests better:

What you suggest is good when a password needs to be entered, but many of us use instead the default keyfiles.
(even though even with passwords use is not ideal since in favorites you has to do two operations and wait for a truecrypt volume as it had a higher hash)

I do encounter that check dialog when I open a volume for the first time.
Then I set that volume as Favorite (the keyfile is in default keyfiles). No problem so far.
Later, when, we go to Favorites, so the software can open it automatically, it takes the long time (trying to open the volume as a Veracrypt container) and after 1min or so, the dialog you mention appears so I have to tick again in the Truecrypt mode box... and repeat the process eveytime I open this favorite volume, that should have open automatically.

I suggest to add a command in "Favorite Volumes.xml" or so that tells veracript when a volume is Veracrypt or it is a Truecrypt one so we dont have so do the process and losing minutes every-time we open a truecrypt volume in favorites (or autostart mounting).

Great upgrade nonetheless!
Coordinator
Jan 1, 2015 at 9:53 PM
I moved this discussion to features request.

Can you please create an issue for this in the "Issues" panel? I'll change its type to feature. It is the best way to track the progress of the proposed features.

Thank you.