This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Recovered from a blunder, now what should i do?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Dec 29, 2014 at 6:06 AM
My OS managed to create a GUID partition table on my veracrypt disk.
This made veracrypt unable to mount the disk, however when i select that i wish
to use backup headers embedded in the device if possible I found it was able to mount it
(all of this after removing the partition table of course).

My question to you is, is there any action that i should take for future safety because of this,
especially I am interested to know if i can copy a backup header for the device onto a flash drive in case this one should also malfunction.

Forgive any technical illiteracy.
Sincerely, Terje.
Coordinator
Dec 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Hi,

For Windows, an encrypted VeraCrypt partition looks like an non-formatted partition and he proposes to format it. Thus, users must be careful not to click yes on the format proposal dialog otherwise the partition maybe damaged.
Unfortunately, there is no technical solution to make Windows not to propose formatting a VeraCrypt partition. So, it is all up to the user to be sure not to click on the Windows confirmation dialog (By default, Windows doesn't format non recognized partitions without user consent).

VeraCrypt encrypted partition always comes with a backup header that is present at the end of the partition. This was designed to enable recovering from cases like the one you encountered where Windows or another program destroyed the header of the partition (for example by creation a file system table).

For extra security, you can extract this backup header and store it on an external medium on case the end of the partition is also damaged. Just select the partition and click on "Volume Tools" and choose "Backup Volume Header...".
Dec 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Hello!

I must have given windows consent then somehow - perhaps by clicking 'OK' on a
prompt somewhere in the disk manager utility in Windows? Maybe. We will never know.

However, i find the backup header at the end of the partition very clever (and evidently, useful).
Thank you for the instructions on how to backup the volume header.