Conversion Utility?

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Hi:

I read somewhere that a conversion utility to convert Truecrypt volumes to Veracrypt volumes is something that was planned. Is this still the case and if so, is there an ETA? I am trying to figure out if its worth the time and effort to manually decrypt all truecrypt volumes and reencrypt with veracrypt or whether to wait for the conversion utility that might same me a step or two.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Hi,

Yes, the conversion tool (only for TC 7.x) is still on track but its priority is low as there are more important features to implement in VeraCrypt (the final 1.0f is scheduled for Christmas day). Actually, the conversion functionality will be integrated into VeraCrypt itself through the "Change Volume Password" action, so technically it will not be a separate tool.

There is still a possibility that it will be included in the 1.0f release but only as an experimental feature since I don't think there will be enough time to test it. This can be a good way to have more users test it and give us there feedback.
Dec 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Hello Mounir,

I assume this will include volumes with hidden volumes and hidden OS. Does the user need to perform password change action twice for hidden volumes? Once for the outer header and then again for the inner (hidden) header.

I created the issue ticket so you can keep track of the requests you accepted on the forums and not to rush untested features into the general release (stable) version.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/36

Again, thank you for your time and effort for making VeraCrypt the best open source disk encryption utility.

Enigma2Illusion
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Hi,

Only volumes (normal, hidden) and non-system partitions will be supported.
Modifying TrueCrypt system partitions and hidden OS is more tricking. While the system is running is can't be done safely, one must connect the drive to another system.
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2014 at 9:49 AM
I have release version 1.0f that include this conversion capability. Please feel free to give your feedback about it.
Jan 3, 2015 at 12:22 AM
1.0f doesnt want to open any thrucrypt 7.1 volumes.

trued wth selecting the tick box as a truecrypy volume in veracrypt but wont recognise any of 3 previous working containers.
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2015 at 9:12 AM
Are you sure the volumes were created with TrueCrypt 7.1 and not with TrueCrypt 6.x or older? VeraCrypt can only open TrueCrypt volumes created with TrueCrypt 7.0, 7.1 and 7.1a. Many tests were done in order to validate this support.

If your volumes were created using TrueCrypt 7.1, can you please give more details about them (size, PRF and encryption algorithms, container or partition)?

If you can create a test container that doesn't work with VeraCrypt, you can post it here with its pasword and I can analyze it.
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:08 PM
I release a minor update with version 1.0f-1 and now TrueCrypt volumes created with 6.0 versions are also supported.

Minsik: Can you please try with version 1.0f-1? It should be able to open your containers now.