This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

OSXFUSE/MACFUSE why is it needed?

Topics: Technical Issues
Oct 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM
I am an OS X user and I've used TrueCrypt for years and loved it.
Since its mysterious downfall I have been looking for alternatives.
I came across VeraCrypt which sounds great. However, I have a question.

Why do I need to install OSXFUSE/MACFUSE to run VeraCrypt? I didn't need this for TrueCrypt. What is so different in VeraCrypt that requires this software?

My concern is I don't really know what OSXFUSE does ( I did read the page on it ) and I'm concerned of possible security exploits of OSXFUSE itself compromising my Mac.

Can anyone elaborate?
Thx!
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM
MACFUSE was stopped in 2008 and as such it doesn't support current MacOSX releases (10.7 and above). Because of this, OSXFUSE project was created as a fork of MACFUSE which maintains compatibility with it while enhancing the API and correcting various issues.

As far as VeraCrypt is concerned, we need to be able to target new MacOSX releases and also be sure that all the libraries we depend on are well maintained (this is important for security issues). Only OSXFUSE offers this and as such we are linking VeraCrypt against it.

The OSXFUSE project is a serious one that is sponsored by large companies and it is run by a talented developer (Benjamin Fleischer). All the binaries are digitally signed by his certificate issued by Apple.
As for any security exploits, I'll be more concerned to continue using MACFUSE who has not be maintained for more than 5 years that using OSXFUSE whose last version was released one month ago.

Cheers,
Marked as answer by idrassi on 10/23/2014 at 3:34 PM
Oct 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM
I dont have MACFUSE now on my machine. My concern was adding OSXFUSE just to be able to run VeraCrypt. Sounds from what you are saying that at its maintained well and that helps ease concerns. I will probably migrate to VeraCrypt in the next few days and finally abandon TrueCrypt.
Thanks for the info!
Feb 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM
I was asking me the same question. Since the question was not completly answered here, I'll add my insights:
It seems that MacFUSE and/or OSXFUSE was bundeled with TrueCrypt. I opened the TrueCrypt.app and found license info files for MacFUSE as well as OSXFUSE. So when you now have to install those yourself, it's only more transparent.