This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Start program or script after successfully mount

Topics: Feature Requests
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Hi,

first, thank you for continuing a great software...

I want appreciate a feature I already missed in TrueCrypt:
Execute a script or program after successfully mounting a volume.

Regards,
Dietmar
Coordinator
Oct 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Hi Dietmar,

Thanks for this idea. It has been proposed long time ago but we were busy dealing with security issues first.

In our view, this can be implemented in "Mount Options" and thus it will be saved for favorite volumes as the other options : once the favorite volume is mounter, the command will be executed.

We thought about this internally and it seems there is a potential security risk: an attack that use this feature to implement a program that will execute each time you open a volume and it can be difficult to detect as harmful since it will spawned using VeraCrypt itself. A user must always remember to check the "Mount Options" since the integrity of the configuration can't be guaranteed.

What do you think about this? Should a warning be displayed when post-mount command is about to be launched?
Oct 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Hi,

we I thought about my idea, I of course also had the security aspect in mind.

In my opinion, there are several options which could be used (one or more together...):
  • first, enable/disable the feature globally for all volumes
  • if enabled:
    • configurable, if warning for "post-mount command is about to be launched" is displayed
  • you could think about a feature that the user has to confirm when the post-mount command changes. That could reduce the risk. For higher security, this confirmation could even be non-disengageable.
Of course, a security risk remains with every additional line of code... ;-)

Nice weekend,
Dietmar