This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Performance with video in HD

Topics: Users Discussion
Jul 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Hi everybody,
If I create a partition with VeraCrypt I will be able to store in it also multimedia content (i.e. video in hd) without having performance playback problems?
Or it's better to store only data that is not multimedia?
Thanks
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Hi,

Usually, there is no significant degradation in hard driver read performance, but it all depends on the CPU of your machine and the encryption algorithm you use.
For example, in you AES is your encryption algorithm and if your CPU supports the AES-NI instruction (like the Core-i7 2600K), then the degradation will be very minimal (not more than 3%). For other combinations of algorithms and CPU, the degradation can be more significant but I don't expect it to be more that 10% with a decent CPU.

Of course, if your multimedia content is not sensitive then putting it on an unencrypted partition is better but using encrypted partitions for storing and reading high quality multimedia files is also possible with no major issues on modern machines.
Jan 11, 2015 at 10:18 AM
Edited Jan 11, 2015 at 10:31 AM
A standard laptop hdd (5400) rpm shows no slow down in speed (real use and benchmarks) using twofish and sha-512 on an i3 3110m (crippled by intel so no aes-ni ).
Neither does a bay trail tablet (z3775 cpu with aes-ni) show any changes in speed when using an external usb 3 hdd with aes and sha-512.

The only slowdown appears using the same laptop + ssd. In this case using any sw encryption roughly halves performance. Using the drives own encryption does not change performance (which is pretty obvious since it's always on anyway, the only difference being if the key used is encrypted or not).

The internal benchmark gives these results:
atom z3775
i3 3110m