This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.
2

Resolved

English to Arabic GUI change after reboot during system encryption

description

OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Veracrypt: 1.13 (64-bit)
  1. Installed and ran Veracrypt.
  2. Did not modify any settings, preferences, etc. (system language set to English (US))
  3. Ran Volume Creation Wizard via System => Encrypt System Partition/Drive
  4. Boot loader password authentication successful
  5. Upon reboot into Windows, Veracrypt's GUI displayed Arabic text only.
  6. Continued with system encryption process with mixed English/Arabic text.
Screenshot demonstrating mixed language GUI: http://i.imgur.com/nCEVQmb.png

Via Google, it seems another user has encountered this bug within the past week and mistaken it for a malware issue: https://forum.eset.com/topic/5849-1-case-of-corrupted-veracrypt/

I am opening this issue while system encryption proceeds.
Not yet able to report whether language can be successfully changed back to English.

Related to issue #189?
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/189

comments

jccahill wrote Sep 8, 2015 at 6:20 AM

Note: UI reverted back to English after the system encryption process completed.

Would not have been able to complete the process without enough familiarity with the GUI to operate it in arabic, however.

idrassi wrote Sep 8, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Thanks for the report.

I'm puzzled by this issue since I can't reproduce it myself even after doing several system encryption tests and many others also don't have this issue.

Indeed, there is a bug in 1.13 related to language settings not always saved correctly but this doesn't explain why the language will be set to Arabic since VeraCrypt chooses the language to display by reading the file "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\VeraCrypt\Configuration.xml" and extracting the language ID from the XML node "Language".

I checked the code again and I don't see how this issue can happen especially that it restores itself once the system encryption process is completed. One possibility that first comes to mind is that there is some bug in the processing of the system encryption configuration file that would make VeraCrypt use the first language file it finds and it happens to be Arabic because it is the first on list.

It would be helpful if someone affected by this can test using the latest 1.14-BETA (available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%20Nightly%20Builds/).

I will also add some extra checked in the code to see it makes things better.

Enigma2Illusion wrote Sep 9, 2015 at 6:47 AM

Hello jacchill,

I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system and I was unable to recreate your issue. However, I had VeraCrypt previously installed and I have upgraded VeraCrypt over the various releases and I am currently using 1.14 beta version along with the installation of TrueCrypt 7.1a version on my system.

In an attempt to help Mounir identify the unique circumstances causing this issue, can you provide answers to my questions below even if they seem trivial?

Did your Windows 7 system ever have TrueCrypt and/or VeraCrypt previously/currently installed and what versions?

Just to confirm, this was a new install of VeraCrypt and not an upgrade to an existing version. Correct?

Did you install VeraCrypt using the installer's default directory for the software (C:\Program Files\VeraCrypt) or did you choose a different location?

Did you check/uncheck any boxes in the Setup Option screen during installation?
  • Install for all users
  • Add VeraCrypt to Start Menu
  • Add VeraCrypt icon to desktop
  • Associate the .hc file extension with VeraCrypt
  • Create System Restore point
Did you reboot your PC after the installation VeraCrypt?

Is your Windows account that you used to install and encrypt the system drive/partition part of the Administrator or System group? If not, what group and permissions is your Windows account?

From your posting, after you installed VeraCrypt version 1.13 for the first time, using the GUI you immediately went to the System Encryption wizard without reviewing any preferences, settings or any other drop-down menu item. Is that correct?

Please provide any additional details of your installation and configuration of VeraCrypt that you can remember prior to encrypting your system drive/partition. This may lead Mounir to discovering the circumstances that caused this issue.

Thank you!

Julian76 wrote Sep 27, 2015 at 9:52 AM

I have the same problem with the gui language.

As I encrypted my system partition I was a bit worried about this (using 1.13). However, after reboot everything seem to be fine until today. I wanted to create a file container an again the gui presented itself in arabic. I updated to 1.15 but the problem won't go away. I figured out that also a change to the configuration.xml was overwritten again with "ar".

Setup was pretty straighforward, no questions asked, just dit it. (so obviously no preconfiguration was done here)

Workaround: I played arround a bit with the portable version and discovered that after a deletion of all but one language file (german as I'm german) I got an english GUI back and in settings I can now choose between german and english.

I hope that helps

Cheers
Julian

idrassi wrote Nov 27, 2017 at 3:07 PM

Fixed in changeset 95cc79231b2b9c335abec03c6a14e400288328c0