This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Permanet decrypting system drive on different system

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 24 at 10:55 PM
I hope this is the right place to ask.

My windows is broken (the encryption is fine, everything works until the moment I am supposed to log in. The "windows started" sound comes. but the log in screen doesn't load (I have these white spinning circle, watched it for like 10 minutes, never gets to the next step). I think I could repair it, if I could decrypt it permanently and simply used a windows repair thingy.

The entire system drive is encrypted.
I can access the data by hooking it up to a different computer, but I cannot permanetly decrypt it. The warning says I can only decrypt the whole drive, which would be fine, but I don't know how.

There are no hidden OS or anything special. Pretty standard setting for system encryption.

Is there any way that I can permanently decrypt it? (obviosly I have the password and PIM)

Thank you.
Feb 25 at 4:36 AM
Edited Feb 25 at 4:36 AM
You should be able to Select the Device from the main window "select device", and then go to "Volumes" > "Permanently Decrypt".
Feb 25 at 8:16 AM
Edited Feb 25 at 8:24 AM
Thank you for the answer.
Thats what I tried.
If I select the device I get the message "error: VeraCrypt can in-place encrypt only a partition, a dynamic volume, or an entire system drive. Please make sure the specified path is correct."
If I chose the partition the OS is on instead of the whole drive, I just get the "wrong password/PIM" message when I have to enter it.
I reentered it a few times just to make sure I didn't just make a typo.

On the fly decryptions works, I can access the files, I just seem to be unable to permanently decrypt it
Developer
Feb 25 at 5:09 PM
Edited Feb 25 at 5:18 PM
If it is about EFI boot - System decryption is possible from rescue disk. It can be any rescue USB. Do not restore header. Decrypt only.
Note: Use 1.20B2 version from sourceforge (1.19 has a bug)