This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

veracrypt volume in multiple files...

Topics: Feature Requests
Feb 12 at 4:15 PM
Veracrypt as a partition can grow to terabyte size. However, veracrypt in a container file has the limit of the file size of the storing filesystem.

With other filesystems-in-a-file it is possible to have this file chopped in handsome files, like chunks of about 600 MByte (for cd-images), 2 GB (the max filesize on fat) and such. Right now, I bounced to a max file syze of 50 MByte to be used on a webdav connected drive! This is an mswindows limitation, a registry setting that can be extended to about 4 GB, still a boundary.

Hence my feature wish: Can a veracrypt container be chopped in user-selectable size files?

The other advantage can be that if the veracrypt container is stored on a system like dropbox, google-drive or onedrive, the update-transfer should not be the entire volume every time, but only the touched files.

Writing this last idea, it can be a security risk if not all the files have the same timestamp. Hence, it could be an option to touch all files on umount and/or touch random other files on write actions.
Feb 12 at 7:27 PM
  1. With all due respect to cbeerse and all new suggestions, but why would someone need encrypted container of more than 2GB in size? I am using encrypted container from the time my RAM was 4MB and my laptop screen had 64 shades of grey LOL... never ever needed anything larger than 1GB... With the NTFS, the container size can be significantly higher...
  2. If the container is split into chunks, there are many issues to be dealt with, such as, which chunk updates and which do not, which chunk is backed and what the time stamp of it is. It becomes extremely complicated. In the current environment when people dont know whether their mobile phone pictures get uploaded to a cloud or thunderstorm somewhere there.... why the additional headache? Encryption, unless KEPT SIMPLE, will backfire for sure....
  3. If you are storing multiple versions of container in a cloud, this is serious security risk, based on the presumption that the cloud is not safe (and it is not, why would you otherwise using VC).