This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Bootloader fingerprint fialed Evil Main Attack.. Seems faulse

Topics: Technical Issues
Feb 12 at 12:21 PM
Edited Feb 12 at 12:40 PM
I don't get this
So I've been home all week, never left my house. I was using my computer all day yesterday and today. I went to shut down the computer to take a shower and when I started it again, I'm getting this error every time I boot it. This is windows 7 Pro by the way. No one was in my place but me.

Note: I have not loaded any rescue disks, I also did not install any software this month. I have also not downloaded any thing via emails. I just checked my load locations with Autoruns.exe, TCPview, and Process Explore. Nothing seems to be loading out of the ordinary. Also, my Win.ini and System.ini seems clean. My temp folders are all empty. What else could this indicate other than the two suggestions in the popup?

I changed the system password (Using the same identical pass) and the error went away. It seems more like a bad sector on the drive type of issue. I never made a rescue disk, so nothing was compromised with that.
Feb 12 at 5:04 PM
What the detection is really telling you is that the bootloader is different than VC was expecting. It could be due to malicious activity, it could be poorly written software (anything with flexnet licensing), it could be corruption.
Feb 13 at 9:54 AM
Edited Mar 12 at 3:09 AM
Well something is very strange, because it just happened again today while I was (already logged into windows). This time it didn't do it at boot time. The error came up as soon as I brought the VC mount window forward on the screen. So it's not a boot loader issue or else I would have got the message when I booted windows.

The only thing I've done different is, I turned on Show System Files in windows. Seems totally unrelated. Why would the boot loader be changing anyway? This is the second time I've updated the system password. I've never had to do this in the past. My system hard drive is not even half populated. I have not installed any software on this computer in over 2 months. I just ran a mem86 memory test with 5 passes, no issues. Know one is in the system because I monitor my ports and all background startup locations. I also checked all my registry load branches, nothing out of the ordinary. I have not left the house today either.

EDIT
This seems to be an issue when I change my windows theme. I don't usually do that, but I have been lately. Everything I change the theme, and then reboot, I get a finger print error and have to re run the VC exe to upgrade again.
Mar 12 at 3:10 AM
Edited Mar 26 at 2:43 AM
Disregard this message.
I turns out It was a file I was running. After I monitored it, it was modifying the boot sector because of a setting.
VC worked as it should - with a warning