This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Do I need to create one VeraCrypt rescue disk for each disk I encrypt?

Topics: Users Discussion
Feb 11 at 4:52 PM
Hi,

I need to encrypt about 10 disks. They'll all use same password (and default PIM). I'd hate to have to make and track 10 different rescue disks. So, my questions are:

(1) Can I skip this step?
(2) If needed later on, can I use same rescue disk for any disk encrypted with VeraCrypt (all encryption will be done using same version/build of Veracrypt).

Thank you for your time and help!
Developer
Feb 11 at 5:17 PM
Rescue disk contains keys. Keys are different for all computers. Keys are encrypted by password, PIM and salt.
If keys are damaged the only possibility is rescue disk.

Version: 1.20B2 is better. 1.19 has problem with EFI rescue disk.
Feb 11 at 5:53 PM
Thank you for your response kavsrf.

I am, at the moment, encrypting the first hard disk. It is the (single) internal SATA hard disk of a laptop. Then, I'll connect (one by one) approx 10 SATA and IDE drives, including both 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch drives, via USB to the same laptop to encrypt them.

If I understand your comment correctly (sorry, I am not as technically savvy as yourself, so please correct me if I am wrong) then it seems that I still need one rescue disk per disk since key will be different for each time I launch encryption as salt may be different for each disk I encrypt (even though pwd may be same and PIM may be default). Is that correct or, in my scenario above, I am okay by having just one rescue file for all external hard disks?

Thanks again.

kavsrf wrote:
Rescue disk contains keys. Keys are different for all computers. Keys are encrypted by password, PIM and salt.
If keys are damaged the only possibility is rescue disk.

Version: 1.20B2 is better. 1.19 has problem with EFI rescue disk.
Developer
Feb 12 at 6:47 AM
lonelyseeker wrote:
I am okay by having just one rescue file for all external hard disks?
No. each data container encrypted (external USB disk) contains keys in first 128K and last 128K. So keys are different for each container.
Feb 14 at 12:35 AM
Thank you kavsrf, appreciate your responses and help.