This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

SSD pagefile/hiberfile

Topics: Users Discussion
Jan 27 at 9:58 PM
For the past several years I've been avoiding encrypting my system drive by having the pagefile/hiberfile wiped on shutdown, not writing memory dumps, clearing cache's on shutdown, etc.

Running an SSD now (TRIM, wear leveling, etc.) and wondering if this is still an adequate solution in regards to the pagefile/hiberfile. My hope would be that, even if wear leveling mechanisms did cause the overwrite passes to miss the intended files a combination of TRIM and garbage collection would still result in those blocks being zero'd.

Am I hoping for too much here? And, aside from turning off pagefile (not an option) and hibernation (an option) completely - are there any workarounds for it aside from FDE?
Jan 28 at 8:00 PM
Yes, there are:
  1. You can use the MS windows built in FSUTIL command for encrypting it. I have found absolutely nothing about how it works, but it MAY be ok. The ideal would be if the system generates random key at startup and uses this random key to encrypt the pagefile on the fly, then wiping this random key on shutdown.
  2. There are third party applications that do exactly what i have suggested above. A prime example is the jetico.fi product, but there are others as well.